Is my address being abused?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 4.14pm
I've been in my new flat about 8 months. During that time I have received mail for lots of different people. At first I didn't pay much attention as this is bound to happen. After getting to know my immediate neighbour I ask if she had heard of any of these people and surprisingly she hadn't. The previous tenant had been there for over 4 years.

I started accidently opening up every letter that came through my door, forgetting to look who it was addressed to :-|

In the last 3 months I have received 2 letters regarding 2 separate citizen applications, 1 letter with a newly issued nation insurance number and 1 informing the recipient about their new parole officer. This is on top of many more about various hospital appointments. These are all for different people.

Is this normal? Is my address being used as some sort of letter drop? Anybody have any suggestions who I could report it to? Iíve returned very letter but Iím not sure if thatís enough.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 4.51pm
some years ago we moved into a flat and had lots of strange people knocking on the door looking for the previous tenants. We then had similar problems to you lots of giros which you could tell from the envelope and other similar stuff in brown envelopes-we did not open them as not legal but I wrote to dole office and explained there were lots of these coming through and in lots of different names and none of them were us-kept sending them back with copy of aforementioned letter-the rest I marked RTs and put in post box. When giros kept coming I sent another letter saying I no longer took responsibility and would just RTS and put back in post - they stopped shortly after.

it could be previous tenant but cold be interception fraud as well so worth writing to Royal Mail to make them aware-might not take any notice!!l.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 6.32pm
Might be worth checking with electoral services at the council to make sure that no one who shouldn't be is listed on the electoral roll, as well as following Dee Dee's advice re Royal Mail.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 6.41pm
I was advised to contact Royal Mail Security. They sent an investigator round who gave helpful advice, and asked other residents in our block to report anything suspicious.
Tuesday 7 June 2016 6.53pm
i had similar at an address in forest gate

I used to get credit cards in various names but addressed to my flat. I would open them and phone up the credit card company and report it - which they were VERY interested in

Then on occasion i would get people knocking on my flat door asking if there was a delivery for them, i would always deny all knowledge until one day the woman from the flat opposite asked if a credit card had arrived - i said it had but why was it sent to my address not hers ? she claimed that she has problems getting mail so had sent it to me , she was most put out when i told her i had returned it to sender.

I moved out shortly after to SE1 and about a year later got my credit file and noticed someone at my old address had kept my name on the electoral roll and was applying for loans and credit cards in my name - luckily they had all been refused , so phoned up newham council and made it clear that i no longer lived there and asked for my name to be removed from the electoral roll and spoke to experian and told them what was happening and they put a password on my credit file for an extra layer of security

i would contact the sender of the mail to make it clear that persons named do not live at that address , that always starts alarm bells ringing from the sender
Tuesday 7 June 2016 9.10pm
it sounds suspicious but equally the SE1 post does mis deliver letters - up to ten a day to my block(when we get post at all) for wrong addresses... as has been aired on the many 'post threads on here
I frequently see ( I don't open) letters fro DWP ( stamps or addresses on back of envelope make evident) Hospitals, Banks etc not for us in our mail box
Tuesday 7 June 2016 11.16pm
You should consider registering with CIFAS, which will mean extra checks are made when anyone applies for credit with your details. It's a pain as you then need to provide extra proof, but it's worth it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: