Sound Proofing a Council flat?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 8 June 2016 10.16pm
Hi everyone, I'm wondering if it is possible to get sound proofing for my council flat?

The neighbours above me are incredibly noisy and often keep my household awake at night. Thus we need something to block out the noise. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.
Wednesday 8 June 2016 10.54pm
I'm in a housing association flat. Guinness Trust on Snowsfields. One of the Guinness brothels was above me for a few years and it was hell. I did look into soundproofing but discovered that to do the type that really works is pretty serious and you must get your social landlord involved, even though you're paying for it yourself. If you can afford it and the council agree I would suggest you go for the independent ceiling type.
Thursday 9 June 2016 7.40am
I remember that Beetroot, found it truly unbelievable. In the fifties in London County Council flat, now Southwark of course, one of our neighbours sent off for a Littlewoods catalogue and we all looked and bought things we needed and she got a shilling (5p) commission on every pound, someone told the rent office and she was told to stop as no businesses were allowed in L.C.C property! Fast forward fifty years and a Brothel was tolerated...and my neighbour would have lost her home for selling from a catalogue.
Thursday 9 June 2016 10.39am
[quote ShellDockley]Hi everyone, I'm wondering if it is possible to get sound proofing for my council flat?

I have a similar issue, the chap upstairs walks around his flat at 2/3am each morning and it sounds like he's playing marbles (I'm sure he isn't but thatís what it sounds like). Iím very sure heís not being anti-social but I don't think he has a carpet and the floors squeak. The policy for my block is that everybody must have carpets down but I think this is a relatively recent rule and can't\isnít enforced for older tenants. Iíve taken to wearing earplugs.

Iíve looked a commercial sound proofing systems but they are a major investment and you lose about 4 inches of head height. I think in both our cases the solution needs to be looked at from above.

Have you contacted your site manager?
Thursday 9 June 2016 10.50am
Beetroot's right, effective sound proofing is potentially a serious undertaking. Depending on the type of noise, how it's generated and the construction of ceiling / walls, it usually involves adding to the depth of the construction with insulation so you lose a bit of width or ceiling height.

I know it can be utterly miserable and stressful to experience this problem. Dare I ask if you've been able to 'discuss' the issue with your neighbours? A more drastic step would be to approach the neighbour's landlord, if known.
Thursday 9 June 2016 11.16am
I had the same problem and looked into soundproofing solution.
Apart from being very expensive, you need to consider that after you have spent lots of money for it the neighbour upstairs might stop the noise, move out, etc.
And then the neighbour downstairs might start...
Or the one on the side...

Chasing the Council about the noise was another waste of time for me: one year of my life of evening phone calls. Often by the time the Council guys arrived the music stopped, just to start again one hour later...

My advice to you is try the Council for a month or two: if that doesn't work, move out!
Thursday 9 June 2016 12.02pm
devon mansions se1 is southwark worst for vertical noise pollution and has featured in many complaints/legal arguments over the century.
solution - insist tenants carpet and not use wood flooring or the big suspended ceiling solution which i have never seen work. usually, you have a narrow plasterboard between you and the neighbour's wooden joists. remember, if you can hear them above, pity the person under you ... or religiously keep a diary and go to the magistrates! the noise team are useless!
Thursday 9 June 2016 12.35pm
Thanks for all the replies and comments. Firstly I have politely approached the neighbours upstairs and was rold by them to "Get off my doorstep and **** off"!.

Secondly they have wooden flooring and clomp around in heels, jump about, continuously drop things and bash things on the floor. I too have wooden flooring but only wear socks or walk around barefoot so I don't disturb the people downstairs.

I can't move as the council will not rehouse us all due to changes in the tenancy agreement.

So that's it then I guess...
Zoe
Thursday 9 June 2016 2.45pm
You need to contact your RSO and discuss it with them. Domestic noise nuisance is a major problem and the Council do't have many powers to deal with it, but it doesn't mean it's not worth trying. There are a range of approaches including mediation, that can work.

Suggesting moving isn't very helpful given the housing crisis, but you could try to get a swap with someone as flats in SE1 are very popular.
Thursday 9 June 2016 2.48pm
ShellDockley wrote:
Thanks for all the replies and comments. Firstly I have politely approached the neighbours upstairs and was rold by them to "Get off my doorstep and **** off"!.
Secondly they have wooden flooring and clomp around in heels, jump about, continuously drop things and bash things on the floor. I too have wooden flooring but only wear socks or walk around barefoot so I don't disturb the people downstairs.

I can't move as the council will not rehouse us all due to changes in the tenancy agreement.

So that's it then I guess...

ShellDockley, just out of curiously how long have you and your neighbour been in the properties? Has it always been an issue?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: