Quietway 14 Cycle route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 15 June 2016 4.48pm
I'm very concerned about the proposed route of the Quietway when it meets the Cycle Superhighway on Blackfriars. We learned last year that it would be coming along Nicholson Street, right past our almshouse. I fear for the safety of my elderly residents, many of whom have restricted or limited mobility and diminished faculties (e.g. hard of hearing). To reach any local shops and amenities they would be faced with either crossing the Quietway or the Cycle Superhighway. The installation of the Cycle Superhighway on Blackfriars Road means that when they get off the bus they have to cross it to get to the pavement.
Last year the residents had a meeting with someone from Southwark Council and a representative of Cllr Adele Morris, and considerable concerns and opposition was voiced. It was revealed that even the Southwark Cyclists preferred the Union Street route rather than Nicholson Street, but as is the way with "consultation", people have their say and are then ignored. Despite promises of a review we have heard nothing since the meeting. Very frustrating. I worry about local democracy.

Related news & features

Thursday 16 June 2016 11.54am
The Quietway crosses Blackfriars Road on Webber Street, not Nicholson.

Regarding your point on the Cycle Superhighway though... crossing the Cycle Superhighway from the bus stop is less troublesome/dangerous than trying to cross a road so I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. It had to go somewhere - sorry that it is in your back yard...
Thursday 16 June 2016 11.58am
Chris isn't talking about the newly opened Quietway 1 on Webber Street - he's referring to the forthcoming Quietway 14 route from Blackfriars Road to Tower Bridge Road.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 June 2016 8.28pm
James, thanks for providing the link.
Having looked through the Consultation Report, I find it a little strange that no weighting appears to be given to the residents who actually live along a proposed route, in a consultation that all local people can respond to; so there are probably lots of committed cyclists in Section A of the route who are in favour and their views override that of the residents. Also, to represent the objections of Edward Edwards' House residents as a concern over losing a car park space is to ignore the very real concerns that were expressed about access, safety etc.
The disabled and elderly are experiencing problems getting across the Cycle Superhighway on Blackfriars Road, especially at the busy times of day, and an informal crossing is not as safe as a traffic-light controlled crossing.
Thursday 16 June 2016 9.54pm
I don't understand. What's the issue with crossing the road that now exists they didn't before when there was more vehicular traffic? Are there less pedestrian crossings with lights as a result of the quiet way or the highway? My impression is that there isn't.
Thursday 16 June 2016 10.06pm
I believe the issue is that the elderly and infirm bus passengers now alight in the middle of the highway and have to cross a cycle route to reach the footpath whereas before they alighted directly onto the footpath
Tuesday 12 July 2016 1.34pm
The plans have been 'called in' for scrutiny:

- this forum thread is mentioned in the official call-in documentation.

Monday 18 July 2016 10.13am
Just to say that the call-in has been withdrawn (after the cabinet member agreed with ward councillors that the council will address the concerns raised) so tomorrow's meeting is no longer happening.

Saturday 8 October 2016 9.56am
I see there is now a proposal to reverse the proposed one-way traffic flow on Tanner Street so it will become eastbound. Clearly this will solve the issue of traffic being funnelled into Bermondsey street, which was one of the major concerns with the previous westbound proposal.

However, I still think that there is a risk that drivers heading east along Abbey St who want to go over Tower Bridge (and are now prevented from turning left at the junction of Abbey St /TBR) will now instead cut up Bermondsey street and then turn right on to the eastbound Tanner St to rejoin TBR. So one rat run will be replaced with another going the other way.

Maybe it's time to cut out any through vehicular traffic on Tanner Street (with the exception of bikes). Will certainly improve the environment alongside the park.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: