Quietway 14 Cycle route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 27 October 2016 11.54am
Work starts on the western end of the route on Monday, even though the consultation period on the traffic management order runs until 3 November

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 30 October 2016 9.49am
If you are going southbound over Tower Bridge, how do they now expect cars to access Bermondsey street? As you can't do a right turn down Druid St, Long Lane and now Tanner St.

As a resident of Bermonsdey Street, I appreciate it should make the street quieter but doesn't it mean I will have to go well out of the way to get access to the street?
Sunday 30 October 2016 10.42pm
The "official route" for southbound Tower Bridge Road traffic heading towards London Bridge is a left turn into Tooley Street (right after the bridge), then a 180 degree turn on the small stretch of Tanner Street which will get you onto Druid Street (all roads are official A roads for through traffic). Over the years some residents and partnerships have urged TFL to look into solutions to allow a right turn into Druid Street from TBR - not sure if TFL will act on this any time soon though.
Residents and businesses can access the northern part of Bermondsey Street through Whites Grounds (via Druid Street).
Making Leathermarket Street westbound and Tanner Street eastbound will remove the rat-run in the area and reduce the through traffic on Bermondsey Street significantly (which is bound to get worse over time with the new station). There is the risk of Bermondsey Street/Tanner Street becoming a rat-run for traffic from Long Lane not being able to turn left into TBR. However this has not been such a big issue so far from what I can tell.
Friday 4 November 2016 5.08pm
Scott77 wrote:
I see there is now a proposal to reverse the proposed one-way traffic flow on Tanner Street so it will become eastbound. Clearly this will solve the issue of traffic being funnelled into Bermondsey street, which was one of the major concerns with the previous westbound proposal.
However, I still think that there is a risk that drivers heading east along Abbey St who want to go over Tower Bridge (and are now prevented from turning left at the junction of Abbey St /TBR) will now instead cut up Bermondsey street and then turn right on to the eastbound Tanner St to rejoin TBR. So one rat run will be replaced with another going the other way.

Maybe it's time to cut out any through vehicular traffic on Tanner Street (with the exception of bikes). Will certainly improve the environment alongside the park.

I see the consultation on changing the proposed direction of Tanner Street traffic from westbound to eastbound closed last week! See https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/tower-bridge-road-tanner-street/consult_view/
Friday 6 April 2018 7.48pm
The Weston Street to Tower Bridge Road section is about to be approved:

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgIssueHistoryHome.aspx?IId=50016846&EVT=113

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 7 April 2018 8.57am
Letís hope it gets approved, especially considering TFL have already remodelled the Tanner St / TBR junction to reflect the fact that Tanner St will become one way eastbound!
Monday 9 April 2018 1.52pm
I agree, it would be great to see these changes implemented.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network