RIP Sam King MBE

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 19 June 2016 9.15am
Hi All,

This has not reported in our news section, so I feel that I should announce here the sad news that a former Mayor of Southwark passed away on Friday.

Sam Beaver King was Southwark's first black Mayor when he took up his post in 1983.

Sam first came to this country during WWII as part of his service in the RAF (he returned to his native Jamaica after being demobbed in 1947), he is also credited with being one of the founders of the Notting Hill Carnival and the West Indian Gazette, Britain's first black newspaper.

He returned to the UK on the HMT Empire Windrush and remained until his death.

Upon his return to the UK, he re-enlisted in the RAF and served there until 1953

After that, he took employment with the GPO as a postman, and worked in that position for 34 years.

in 1998 he was made a Member of the Order of the British Empire.

Sam's legacy should be viewed as a source of inspiration to all black Britons.

Related news & features

Sunday 19 June 2016 1.31pm
Thanks for this post. An inspiration not just to black Britons.
Sunday 19 June 2016 7.56pm
I remember him phoning the council he was unassuming and never announced himself as some lesser mortals did! A very well deserved M.B.E. Condolences to his family.
Monday 27 June 2016 10.29am
His death was talked about on Friday's Last Words on R4 ...
Tuesday 28 June 2016 12.02pm
What an amazing man. Southwark will miss him, and so will the rest of London and the Commonwealth for his selfless service. I will toast to his memory tonight

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: