Swan Lane / Pages Walk

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 24 June 2016 3.22am
Hi
I am visiting London in a few days time and will be spending some time doing some family history research.
My great grandfather, Frederick James Mantell, was born in 1854 and the address he was living at before he emigrated to New Zealand was 25 Swan Lane, Bermondsey. I believe this is now called Page's Walk. On google earth I can see the terraces there are quite new. Does anyone know if there are photos of the street in or around the 1850s?
I would be very grateful for any information.
Wendy Perry
Christchurch
New Zealand
Friday 24 June 2016 9.55pm
Hi Wendy

You could always try the Southwark Local History Library based in Borough High Street. I believe they have a collection of old photos from Southwark. Good luck with the research!
Saturday 25 June 2016 7.30am
I wonder how old the railway cottages are Shell? And even if they are that old the house number changing over the years may be possible?
Saturday 25 June 2016 9.37pm
In 1872 it was Pages walk on 1872 map.
Saturday 25 June 2016 9.48pm
Pages walk ran from grange road, then diverged into Swan Street which led into old Kent rd. Interestingly swan place was almost on the opposite side of old Kent road...crutchley map..1846. Will have another look at map tomorrow .
Saturday 25 June 2016 9.51pm
1846 eight years before your great grandfather was born.
Saturday 9 July 2016 3.45pm
ShellDockley wrote:
Hi Wendy
You could always try the Southwark Local History Library based in Borough High Street. I believe they have a collection of old photos from Southwark. Good luck with the research!
Saturday 9 July 2016 3.46pm
ShellDockley wrote:
Hi Wendy
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm now in London so will follow up.
Friday 16 September 2016 10.07am
Wendy.

Swan Lane is going towards Rotherhithe from Bermondsey wall
There was Swan Lane Buildings.
Friday 16 September 2016 10.10am
Swan Lane is going towards Rotherhithe Going along from Bermondsey Wall
you will find Swan Lane Buildings.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: