Neil Coyle

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8
Wednesday 19 April 2017 10.06am
Jules62 wrote:
If the overriding priority is to attempt to reduce the Tory majority in the Commons, it will make no difference if Bermondsey and Old Southwark elect Coyle or Hughes: there is no way the Conservatives can take this constituency so whoever wins will still be an opposition MP.
This means that electors can cast their votes without having to worry about tactical voting and the like: it will be a straightforward choice between two very different candidates.

May the best (or least worst) candidate win...

I suspect that there will be more than two candidates. Given the (un)likelihood of the Tories getting in, this might be a good opportunity to vote (as Kevin suggested) for the party we actually want to, rather than tactically.
Wednesday 19 April 2017 12.01pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
Jules62 wrote:
If the overriding priority is to attempt to reduce the Tory majority in the Commons, it will make no difference if Bermondsey and Old Southwark elect Coyle or Hughes: there is no way the Conservatives can take this constituency so whoever wins will still be an opposition MP.
This means that electors can cast their votes without having to worry about tactical voting and the like: it will be a straightforward choice between two very different candidates.

May the best (or least worst) candidate win...

I suspect that there will be more than two candidates. Given the (un)likelihood of the Tories getting in, this might be a good opportunity to vote (as Kevin suggested) for the party we actually want to, rather than tactically.

Yes: voters to whom it makes absolutely no difference whether Coyle or Hughes are elected, can vote for anyone else, or even stay at home on the day.

Supporters of the Green Party could vote Green so that at least their candidate receives at least 5% of the votes and therefore doesn't loose the 500 deposit: at the last General Elections the Green Party only received 3.9%, so in that occasion they forfeited their deposit.

Still, that was a marked improvement on their 2010 performance when they only received 1.6%.
Wednesday 19 April 2017 12.56pm
lucysalisbury wrote:
I'd be happy with either Coyle or Hughes, just as long as it isn't a useless Brexiter Coybynite

I'm ALMOST with you lucy, but I'd prefer Mr. Hughes if he runs.
Both my wife and I, and she's not influenced one iota by me, she's as free thinking as all get out, vote for whoever we think has the best chance of keeping Labour out.
Wednesday 19 April 2017 4.04pm
Even though I quite like Neil Coyle, I will support the return of Simon Hughes. Anything to avoid a vote for Labor's Jeremy Corbyn who has given a blank cheque to the Tories for a hard Brexit.
More importantly, I so hope the ghastly Leaver Kate Hoey will be beaten by George Turner.
Wednesday 19 April 2017 5.18pm
Agreed Tom Pepper and Maurits!

Tom, I hardly think your wife needs to worry about keeping Labour out. I know so many people in London who are abandoning Labour due to Corbyn's supine acquiescence to the Brexiters' cause
Wednesday 19 April 2017 8.44pm
Corbyn problem is he appears dazed by the whole thing Emily Thornbury and Ana Sourbury etc dont realise that majority want out of this squalid undemocratic EU so that's why I shall vote UKIP as I am unconvinced by the
Government genuine Brexit stance apart from John Redwood N Jacob Rees Mogg etc Oh for the days of Tony Benn and Enoch Powell
Zoe
Wednesday 19 April 2017 9.58pm
People voting Tory or to keep Labour out, after all the nasty stuff the Tories have done over the last seven years. Doesn't the state of the NHS and the public sector concern you, or the people who aren't lucky enough to have six jobs and earn a fortune for them. Voting UKIP is still worse of course, as that's voting to blame foreigners for the problems caused by the unpleasant Tories and the unpleasant rich who won't pay tax.

Our society is more unfair and divided than its ever been, as we have the biggest divide between rich and poor than has ever been seen. The austerity we have experienced since the financial crisis hasn't worked, but people seem to want to vote for more of the same.

Is it perhaps because those voting in this way haven't been affected by the years of austerity and don't care that others are suffering.

We have some pretty rubbish candidates locally though.
Thursday 20 April 2017 1.16pm
If only Corbyn voiced his true left wing anti EU feelings honestly he would be onto a winner!
Thursday 20 April 2017 1.19pm
Our jobs HAVE been taken by outsiders of course!
Thursday 20 April 2017 1.24pm
The world is full of "unpleasant " people left right etc its called humanity and none is perfect on this terrestrial mortal coil
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 7 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: