The Leisure Centre (I know, again...)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 11 July 2016 4.11pm
The new people have been in charge a while now, but I can't find a timetable anywhere - and they seem to have poofed the facebook page - while I'm not surprised they did, it is a little annoying they don't seem to have replaced it. If they had, I wouldn't have turned up yesterday to go swimming while everyone else watched the football, only to find it closed because a kid had barfed in the pool earlier in the day.

Am I just missing the info? Is there some secret, or even not so secret, website/app to look at?

And while I'm on topic, how do people feel about the free use. I'm a member, paying full membership as I use the facilities during the week too - Do we get some preferential access during 'free' times, given we are paying and also eligible for the free access, or is the membership pro-rata'd so we are actually only paying for four days a week of membership?

Any insight appreciated :)
Monday 11 July 2016 4.24pm
There's a timetable here:
https://www.everyoneactive.com/centre/the-castle-centre/
(look for the red 'timetable' button - on the right hand side on large screen devices, may be lower down on phones etc)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 10.42am
Doodle10 - I'm finding that the more free access there is, the less my returns on paying fifty pounds a month.
It's already reached a point where (like the pool life guards) I don't want to be there on Saturdays, I'm pleased the gym is well used, but concerned that already little things are not getting sorted.
I'm not allowed to use the pool at certain times, and struggle to find a space at others .
I mostly use the treadmills - any recommendations for a private gym please?
Tuesday 12 July 2016 12.16pm
graham wrote:
Doodle10 - I'm finding that the more free access there is, the less my returns on paying fifty pounds a month.
It's already reached a point where (like the pool life guards) I don't want to be there on Saturdays, I'm pleased the gym is well used, but concerned that already little things are not getting sorted.
I'm not allowed to use the pool at certain times, and struggle to find a space at others .

Bankside Gym, Southwark St. No pool, but great equipment and the staff are lovely. The also have more classes than any other gym Iíve heard of.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 3.27pm
I read somewhere that a Gymbox might open in one of the new Delancey buildings, but I can't find the article anymore: maybe it was just a rumour.

I was really excited about the new gym, but when I saw the free membership I decided not to join. I know the intentions are good, but it just doesn't work. Cheap ok, discounts for special categories ok, but free for everyone is just silly. Wait and see, I give it 6 months at the most.
Zoe
Tuesday 12 July 2016 7.11pm
There is a pool at the circle gym, which is £55-£75, depending on times used. The other choices are even more expensive. I use the Fitness4less gym, sadly no pool but a lot of classes for £20 a month.

I am finding the Everyone Active website vey poor and when I sent them an enquiry they gave me the hard sell.
Tuesday 12 July 2016 9.51pm
Zoe wrote:
I am finding the Everyone Active website vey poor and when I sent them an enquiry they gave me the hard sell.

Their website is a conman's dream: the only way to find out what the cost of a membership actually is, entails committing to it before being revealed the price...

Councilor Anderson should come down onto them like a ton of bricks: I hope she does.
Zoe
Tuesday 12 July 2016 10.16pm
Totally agree, I was a bit shocked to have to sign up and give loads of info just to find out the price. Hence why I sent off the enquiry which led to the hard sell.

I'm going to stick to the leisure axis card, as I can't be sure they'll be lifeguards when I go!
Tuesday 19 July 2016 1.07pm
The Marriott at County Hall has a pool and lots of treadmills and really underused as it is mainly used by hotel guests and they do not try to sell memberships. Bear in mind, I pay £86/month, so it does not come cheap but at least you have space, it's on the 5th floor, so lots of natural light and you have bathrobes and towels provided. I am often the only one in the pool and just about 4-10 people in studio classes, so that's a real luxury to me. The downsides are they do not have so many classes anymore and they have removed the Jacuzzi and the spa, so hope it is not going downhill.
TAK
Thursday 21 July 2016 7.31am
graham wrote:

Is the free swim and gym for Southwark residents already running? I thought it only starts from Friday 29th July?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: