Painful Sciatica, NHS and Pain Clinics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 14 July 2016 11.05pm
Hi, I have two herniated discs lumber region and 3rd pinched nerve, I try my best to live my life as normal as possible but at times its not so easy with constant pain. I also have sciatic pain which stops me from being able to do things that I could before, it used to be on my right side now its moved over to the left. Its worse on getting up, being told will have a four months wait for the pain clinic at St Thomas hospital even though my gp put urgent on it. This nerve pain can wear you out emotionally and physically. My gp has done what he can but I feel the nhs support with this is limited. I had physio twice previously which the exercises were good but sciatica still there. I am just surviving on pain killers and gentle walking helps. They say six to eight weeks it should ease, I had it twelve weeks and its ongoing now. Suffered years with back problems and originally it was on my right side now gone to left.

Does anyone else suffer with this?
Have you ever been to a pain clinic if so did it help or not?
Did you get much support from the NHS?

Any information views welcomed for support. thanks...
Friday 15 July 2016 8.36am
So sorry to hear this, and I remarked the other day to a friend that the NHS is wonderful unless you actually need it.
If you want to PM me I can recommend an excellent osteopath who is just over in the City at London Wall. She does cranial work too which is very effective.
Friday 15 July 2016 10.29am
I've been here a few times:

http://www.bso.ac.uk/information-for-patients/how-to-make-an-appointment-at-the-bso-clinic/

No connection, just a happy customer
Friday 15 July 2016 10.34am
Ouch! You poor thing, have you tried TENS machines? I think you can rent a maternity one, extra strong one used in labour. Or try bog standard one from boots. My son in law has similar problem, can't take Tramadol, amitrytiline because of his work. When mentioned Tens to him he has poo pooed the idea. He is still suffering after two years...
Friday 15 July 2016 5.17pm
thanks for the links to private clinics but saw their prices and dont know if I can afford that kind of fees, thats the problem. I am taking Tramadol and diclofenic but its still painful, worse on getting up. also take co codemel as well. Have tried some others to but they made me ill so could not take them. NHS are good for some things, but for chronic pain sufferers I dont think they are there for people at all. thats why a lot of people end up in debt going private because nhs wait lists is far to long. i will try most things to my capability. I do short walks which helps, I think it will be a slow process this time, started down right side now swopped over to the left side. they say after 6 weeks is chronic but you still have to wait weeks months for any pain clinics,
Friday 15 July 2016 5.32pm
I have two herniated discs and 3rd pinched nerve on lumbar lower region.
Friday 15 July 2016 6.28pm
Have you tried ringing the clinic? If you let them know that you're local they might be able to let you know of any late cancellations.
Friday 15 July 2016 8.19pm
I'll second Pops' recommendation of the BSO (also just a happy customer). I was there for sciatica-like pain several years ago, and am also having treatment now for a similar issue. Treatments have worked very well, the staff & students are lovely, and they are excellent (in my opinion) at ferreting out the source of a particular pain, which is not always where you think it might be!
Friday 15 July 2016 8.28pm
Son in law waited months for pain clinic, after scans to determine where the paid radiated from they offered him anaesthetic into spine, only numbed the pain for a while. Stubborn man won't go back!
Friday 15 July 2016 10.53pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Son in law waited months for pain clinic, after scans to determine where the paid radiated from they offered him anaesthetic into spine, only numbed the pain for a while. Stubborn man won't go back!

Had similar experience, only got to pain clinic after trying the physio and the NSAIDS with dyhydrocodeine or diclofenac and tramadol useless. I had the anaesthetic in the spine two occasions, neither occasion lasted for long. Finally I had spinal anesthesia whilst actually under anaesthetic an id apart from occasional twinge is now hunky dory. Had a GP once who said that most things only last for 3 months, then said that some people might need another 3 months [and a tiny percentage another 3 months]. Thing is it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil so tell him to be a pain in the backside of those supposedly helping him and tell him good luck
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: