Council front door lock keys

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 19 July 2016 9.40am
I have just returned from holidays and forgot my keys, so I am locked out of my flat in a Council block. The only spare keys I can get hold of is at my mum's in France and she can't come before Thursday. It takes 2 weeks for SoOuthwark Council to duplicate keys.
If I call a locksmith, can they just open the door without having to change the lock? I don't want to have to replace locks as the Council is very tight with the number of keys we are allowed to have for security reasons.
Thanks for your advice
Tuesday 19 July 2016 11.06am
The locksmith will only remove the drum. You will only need to replace this.
Tuesday 19 July 2016 12.00pm
connie wrote:
I have just returned from holidays and forgot my keys, so I am locked out of my flat in a Council block. The only spare keys I can get hold of is at my mum's in France and she can't come before Thursday. It takes 2 weeks for SoOuthwark Council to duplicate keys.
If I call a locksmith, can they just open the door without having to change the lock? I don't want to have to replace locks as the Council is very tight with the number of keys we are allowed to have for security reasons.
Thanks for your advice

Had to call out a locksmith a few years ago - they will try and use an electronic lock picker thingy at first , if that does not work they will normally drill through the lock :(
Tuesday 19 July 2016 12.09pm
I called the locksmith suggested on a SE1 conversation last year and they said that 9 times out of 10 they need to replace the locks. Cost from 160+VAT...
It will be cheaper to get my mum to come over from France!
Tuesday 19 July 2016 12.18pm
was about 16 years ago when i called out a locksmith to my flat in forest gate , and it cost 170 back then !!

I did have to call one out to my flat in waterloo about three years ago and after spending 30 mins moaning there was no free parking ( ?? ) . He then tried to pick the lock , couldn't do it then said he couldn't drill through the lock as he had forgotten his drill !!! Needless to say i told him to get lost and didnt pay him

Luckily i found one of my neighbors who had a drill - that could be a cheaper option for you ? the locks that get drilled through will have to be replaced though :S
Tuesday 19 July 2016 12.36pm
The Council are so difficult with keys. They refuse to hand over more than 4 sets of keys for security reasons. That's why I don't have enough keys to give one to a neighbour or keep in the office. Just stupid, you own a flat and you can't have as many keys as you need!

I think I will sleep at my friend's and wait for my mum to come on Thursday, that's only about 80!
I was even thinking she could hand them over to anyone travelling on the Eurostar today but that's a bit iffy...

Luckily I have some spare clothes in the office (mainly gym kit and most importantly sandals, thanks God!). I had just returned from Iceland and was dressed with my hiking boots, thick winter socks and sweaters! So hot in London! My partner took my suitcase (including my keys) home and he left straight away on another holiday :(
Tuesday 19 July 2016 3.03pm
Connie, just a suggestion - and you would have to act quickly - but perhaps you could have them sent on an overnight courier, such as DHL - they would collect from your mum today and have them to you by a guaranteed time tomorrow morning.
Tuesday 19 July 2016 5.18pm
Oh gosh, where are you staying tonight?

I've always kept a set of keys in my draw at the office, may be something to consider?
Tuesday 19 July 2016 5.29pm
Thanks for your suggestions .My parents live in the middle of nowhere, so DHL or fast courier service from there is not possible unfortunately. But I asked my partner to send his key by DHL from Greece and they should get here by Thursday the earliest. So if I get them on Thursday, my mum will cancel her ticket...
And Pops, yes I always used to keep a spare key in the office but since the Council replaced the doors and refused to issue more keys, I have not been able to keep a spare one in the office.
Wednesday 20 July 2016 10.25am
I'm a bit puzzled Connie , if you own your flat and it your front door, why would the council not allow you to have more than four keys? I think when your Mum comes with your keys it may be an idea o nip to Worrals and have more cut. My sister in law was house sitting years ago and came out of the house without keys . She phoned fire brigade who came out and got in through top window!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network