Solitary house by Waterloo bus stands

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 July 2016 8.14am
I was wondering if anybody had any information or history of the solitary house by Waterloo bus stands. Iíve always found it curious that it survived when, presumably, other houses around it didnít.
Friday 22 July 2016 8.31am
It doesn't directly answer your question, but there's an old thread here about Tenison Street:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/58375
which has a few interesting bits in it, despite various off-topic digressions.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 23 July 2016 8.46pm
The 'house' is the back of the Hole in the wall pub. Can't offer reasons as to why the pub survived intact though.
Monday 25 July 2016 11.46am
paulie wrote:
The 'house' is the back of the Hole in the wall pub. Can't offer reasons as to why the pub survived intact though.

I didn't know that, that might explain it.
Sunday 25 September 2016 10.10am
Just came across this thread while looking for something else.

It's not part of the pub, it's a family home believe it or not. My daughter knows them and has been round there a few times.

Why it survived I don't know - maybe because it was not quite in the way of the railway!
Sunday 25 September 2016 9.48pm
Strangely was wondering the same as I went past the other day.
Monday 26 September 2016 3.32pm
I always found this small house (cottage?) quite charming. Such a pity so many buses stop in front of it, it must be so noisy it is impossible to open windows.
Monday 12 December 2016 11.16am
There's a 1950 pen and ink drawing currently on display in St John's Waterloo (depicting the pre-Festival of Britain work on the church building) which shows that the surviving cottage was at that time attached to The Hero of Waterloo Tavern and Hotel.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: