Mercato Metropolitano

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 23 July 2016 1.08pm
This just opened 3 days ago on old Hotel Elrphant site on Newington Causeway
Came down today and it is amazing!. Great canteen with fresh cooked pizzas cheeses hams ice creams and a bar. Great italian food can eat outside or in. Really lovely
The Deli shop is stacked to the rafters with foods and drinks. What a great new venue for the area!
Saturday 23 July 2016 3.46pm
Just been in had a look. It's brilliant...
TAK
Saturday 23 July 2016 7.10pm
Went in the morning and loved it too - I imagine this may get very busy very quickly once word gets around..
Sunday 24 July 2016 7.37pm
Seems to be a soft launch in that their website, Facebook and Instagram have not yet been updated with information about the new London market, only the established one on Turin. Their Twitter feed does now quote an English website with some information:

http://www.mercatometropolitano.co.uk/
Sunday 24 July 2016 7.53pm
Popped down this evening.
Good luck to them, if they get the trade it'll be a good thing.
Nice glass of wine and some cheesey-meaty snacks.
Bakery, fresh pasta, bar, supermarket, deli, ice cream, smiley staff...

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 July 2016 10.27am
We went yesterday and loved it. Apparently there's a grand opening event on 15th September, by which time another part of it will be open with more prepared food including an American barbecue. They're also opening a cinema and gym on the site. Really hope it works, it's a fantastic addition to the area...an area which is apparently now known as SoBo, as in South of Borough, according to the marketing literature!
Monday 25 July 2016 1.29pm
But it's not open on Mondays - as I've just discovered!
Tuesday 26 July 2016 8.28pm
Went there today, and found it very expensive (like a can of beans for 4.50).

The place is beautiful, well set up, and a great addition to the neighbourhood and definitively worth a visit on your way to or from Borough Market.

What I was looking for was guanciale (I am a Roman, and it is a basic ingredient in our Capital's cuisine), but they didn't have it...

I reserve final judgement for now, and will wait to see if they can actually provide a more comprehensive selection of regional products when they have finished setting everything up.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 6.43pm
Oh god i love it. Lovely vibe, sat outside eating really good pasta in sage and butter with a very decent pint. The deli is a treat. Laid back, happy, yummy. *goes online to buy a bigger pair of jeans*
Thursday 28 July 2016 9.17am
Also went last night, surprised that quite a few people seem to know this place already.
There was a queue for the pasta and the lady taking orders was more interested in chatting that taking orders so we gave it a pass. Tried the yummy ice cream instead, 2 lovely chaps making us try every flavour on offer. Also bought some Italian sheep cheese which was much cheaper than at Borough market.
Early days, they still need to have more stands installed but I can easily see it be very busy at weekends and sunny evenings. Where they got it right is to provide lots of seating which is sorely missing at Borough market. Just hope neighbours won't complain about the noise once it proves super popular.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: