Book Donation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 11.44am
I'll be going through boxes of old books soon and probably needing to give a lot of them away. I know that there are services I can sell some for very small amounts, but there are lots that they won't take. I'd rather donate the books than put them in the recycling bin.

I'm at St George's Circus and was wondering what is the closest place to me where I can just turn up with a box of books and leave them for donation. Literally all sorts of books from children's books to fiction to reference.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 3.32pm
The Friends of St Thomas' Hospital are always grateful for book donations - they have a book sale every Thursday lunchtime in the hospital so always need new stock. Their shop is just in the entrance opposite Gassiot House -I think it's only open weekdays but I may be wrong!
Wednesday 27 July 2016 5.11pm
It would be a bus hop but there are several charity shops on Walworth Rd that stock books and are always keen on more donations.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 6.07pm
My brother lives in Borough Road, at the St George's Circus end.

Recently he decided to get rid of many of his books, and set up a self-service stall just outside the old library: he put up all his books and a notice inviting people to help themselves to anything they wanted.

At the end of the day, 90% of them had gone, those that remained he disposed of in the recycling bin.
Wednesday 27 July 2016 10.20pm
In Union Street, Blackfriars Road end, just past the Travel Lodge and outside the Union Theatre, there is a book exchange rack. Just leave your books there, anyone who wants to take them will. I have left loads of books there, and sometimes have helped myself to books. It's a nice idea. You might find that some charity shops are saying no books at the moment [like the Paws / Dogs Trust charity shop in Lower MArsh], seems everyone has their clearouts prior to summer
Thursday 28 July 2016 7.22pm
Calamity wrote:
In Union Street, Blackfriars Road end, just past the Travel Lodge and outside the Union Theatre, there is a book exchange rack. Just leave your books there, anyone who wants to take them will. I have left loads of books there, and sometimes have helped myself to books. It's a nice idea. You might find that some charity shops are saying no books at the moment [like the Paws / Dogs Trust charity shop in Lower MArsh], seems everyone has their clearouts prior to summer

Small correction to above ... The Union Theatre café has now moved over the road in Union Street and is more or less opposite under the arches and the book exchange rack [which was originally set up by RocketVan who are no longer there] has also moved opposite
Monday 1 August 2016 10.47am
Thanks for all the suggestions!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: