Blackfriars Road Post Office

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 3 August 2016 9.23pm
Read just now on SE1 that this post office is threatened with closure.
What a rotten idea. Many of us use it regularly and it is always busy.
Will start making my "Save Our Post Office" banner right away.

Related news & features

Thursday 4 August 2016 8.36am
Off the top of my head Jazzy I can think of three we've lost over the years..Bricklayers arms ...late seventies I think...the Borough...the Elephant...probably a few more that I've forgotten.

I use the sub post office in great Dover street, the queue there can be lengthy and you find yourself in the way of shoppers. Asda at Gravesend has a large post office inside.ideal if your shopping. Don't know if there is anywhere nearby it could be similar? I think with pensions paid directly into accounts and online shopping delivered by couriers the Post Office will use that as excuse to downsize another great institution .
Thursday 4 August 2016 8.43am
Please, no! It's not exactly unused, businesses use it, pensioners collect their cash here. I called in there yesterday to weigh letters going abroad and the place was buzzing, so I queued for the self help machines.These aren't really self help, as there's always a member of staff to help if you stand there trying to work out what goes where.It's a bit of a trek down to Westminster Bridge Road, so apart from there, where next? Not New Bridge Street over the river, that's been Tesco for a while now.Take a bus up to Mount Pleasant ? It's all part of the Government's encouragement to do our daily exercise regime.
Thursday 4 August 2016 9.55am
I was looking at my 20 year old A to Z the other day and I was surprised by the number of Post Offices there were around 20 years ago! I try to avoid Post Offices in the centre and the City, I have spent too many of my lunch hours queuing... If I need, I use the one on Westminster Bridge Road, late in the evening is better. I was thinking of selling some items on eBay but just the thought of having to queue to send parcels depresses me so stuff will go to charity instead.
Is Mount Pleasant not supposed to be redeveloped also?
Thursday 4 August 2016 10.06am
Concur with you Sandy Pandy. However I do miss the old GPO victorian type buildings. High ceilings plenty of space and a really decent traditional service.
Perhaps a smarter end grocery could be incorporated but the Blackfriars branch would need to be extended space wise in that event
Thursday 4 August 2016 10.32am
Jan, where is the sub post office in Great Dover Street? Can't place it.
Thursday 4 August 2016 11.09am
There's one in the Co-op in Southwark Bridge Road, also the main one at London Bridge. Both get nightmarishly busy! I seem to remember they tried to close the Blackfriars Road PO several years ago and there was such a backlash that they re-thought the plan and decided to close on Saturday mornings, but keep it open otherwise.
Thursday 4 August 2016 2.44pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Jan, where is the sub post office in Great Dover Street? Can't place it.

In the current Co-Op (soon to be Nisa), opposite the Black Horse.
Thursday 4 August 2016 5.13pm
Isn't it closed already? Went by a couple of days ago and it seemed boarded/taped up...
Thursday 4 August 2016 6.19pm
When I lived in Borough Road, I used the Post Office in Borough High Street, near the Police Station.

Then I moved to Draper House at the E&C, and the Post Office was opposite the entrance to my building, about 15 yards away.

While working at ITV on the South Bank, I often used the Post office in Waterloo, at the corner with Stamford Street.

These were all crown Post Offices and they have all been shut down...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: