The Pain Clinic St Thomas Hospital

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 10 August 2016 7.43pm
This clinic is a four month wait for anyone in pain, I managed to bring it forward due to complaints of my severe pain, I went to my appointment today and it was very disappointing, they get rid of patients before the first half. I expected more support with my pain, maybe a referral and support on how to deal with pain, pain management as to what it states. I asked the doctor if the spinal injection was painful and he replied, its an injection, I said yes I know that but is it very painful, he didnt know. On a quick examination he then signed me off after first visit. What a joke. It took me longer to walk over the bridge then the appointment I had with the doctor. Has anyone else has experience of this please do tell what is like mine or better. The general uncaringness and lack of support and seems they want to just throw patients away at the end of it.
Friday 12 August 2016 8.31pm
My mum went there twenty years go, excellent care had the spinal block very short acting. Of course that was two decades ago. My son in law is really suffering with his back, had the injection did not help at all, can't take strong painkillers because of his job, I told him to try tens. Machine he said his pain was so bad nothing worked, went back and they told him they were able to help...I told him to try hypnosis CDs ...I think he is despondent over attitude of pain clinic. They live in Kent so the hospital was based there.
I told him to go back and he won't Ladywriter to be n such pain everyday I feel for you. I think the psyche should be helped to handle intractable pain, if the pain can't be handled by traditional treatment the Clinic should refer you to someone who can offer alternative treatment. Hope someone helps you soon..
Friday 12 August 2016 10.33pm
I've been twice. The first time was several years ago and I saw a lovely Dr unpronounceable-Polish-surname-beginning-with-G. He was wonderful. This was for neck pain, although the pain clinic came long after the appts following ibuprofen pain relief, physiotherapy and offer of acupuncture. At first I had injections then had a trial of some sort of electronic acupuncture which sort of worked. I always felt Dr G cared for the pain I was in as much as I did. He would always say to come back and make an appt direct if the treatment failed. Easier said than done because you still had to go through the reception staff and when you got an appt it was to be assessed before you would get the pain relief. Ieventually was given a TENS machine which I am still using to this day.
The second time I went was for really severe lower back pain and I was eventually sent there following the usual pain relief, physio etc. I had two lots of spinal injections, both of which worked but not for very long, about a month then 6 weeks. I went back again and this time was referred for pain injections under general anaesthetic and can report these worked brilliantly although the wait seemed interminable. I lived in fear of the pain returning and was sent on the Back Pain course run by the physio's with gentle interval training at their huge gym in St Thomas' with a chat at the end, all CBT based. To date am only suffering on occasion.
I do honestly feel that the dr's I saw genuinely did want to help, but the system is rubbish, if you're suffering really severe pain, you want help, soonest, and don't want to wait a month to get an apt card for 6-8 weeks later
I do hope Ladywriter and Jan's son in law get the treatment they need sooner rather than later. Old saying - it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil - can only suggest you keep on and on and persevere and pester your gp, I've told other people this and know that some gp's are able to put themselves out and intervene. Best wishes!
Saturday 13 August 2016 6.51pm
Well I have ended up having to pay to go to a private gym with a pool, its expensive but it seems the nhs are going to do nothing so had to take another route...
Zoe
Saturday 13 August 2016 7.43pm
I think you always have to pay for the pool yourself, they don't let people use their pool. The same thing happened when I had physio.
Saturday 13 August 2016 7.58pm
The doctor I saw at pain clinic didnt seem bothered, he signed me off after first visit. Felt he wasnt listening either. It was just routine, asked him do the injections in spine hurt, he didnt know, gave me no information nothing. It was a waste of time me going there, I have spent more time in tesco then did with that doctor. Its a four month wait now to, but I only got it brought forward due to me complaining about the wait. I did have physio twice before six weeks each time which was helpful, but hard when they do floor exercises and I cant get back up afterwards. Just seems to be now if you want proper help you have to pay privately for it.

Calamity wrote:
I've been twice. The first time was several years ago and I saw a lovely Dr unpronounceable-Polish-surname-beginning-with-G. He was wonderful. This was for neck pain, although the pain clinic came long after the appts following ibuprofen pain relief, physiotherapy and offer of acupuncture. At first I had injections then had a trial of some sort of electronic acupuncture which sort of worked. I always felt Dr G cared for the pain I was in as much as I did. He would always say to come back and make an appt direct if the treatment failed. Easier said than done because you still had to go through the reception staff and when you got an appt it was to be assessed before you would get the pain relief. Ieventually was given a TENS machine which I am still using to this day.
The second time I went was for really severe lower back pain and I was eventually sent there following the usual pain relief, physio etc. I had two lots of spinal injections, both of which worked but not for very long, about a month then 6 weeks. I went back again and this time was referred for pain injections under general anaesthetic and can report these worked brilliantly although the wait seemed interminable. I lived in fear of the pain returning and was sent on the Back Pain course run by the physio's with gentle interval training at their huge gym in St Thomas' with a chat at the end, all CBT based. To date am only suffering on occasion.
I do honestly feel that the dr's I saw genuinely did want to help, but the system is rubbish, if you're suffering really severe pain, you want help, soonest, and don't want to wait a month to get an apt card for 6-8 weeks later
I do hope Ladywriter and Jan's son in law get the treatment they need sooner rather than later. Old saying - it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil - can only suggest you keep on and on and persevere and pester your gp, I've told other people this and know that some gp's are able to put themselves out and intervene. Best wishes!
Saturday 13 August 2016 8.00pm
I wasnt offered nothing. He just gave me a quick examination and said oh a lot of people have this condition. and then signed me off. I was nervous about spine injection as to suffering already but he didnt set my nerves at rest about it as he didnt seem to have a clue.

Jan the old one wrote:
My mum went there twenty years go, excellent care had the spinal block very short acting. Of course that was two decades ago. My son in law is really suffering with his back, had the injection did not help at all, can't take strong painkillers because of his job, I told him to try tens. Machine he said his pain was so bad nothing worked, went back and they told him they were able to help...I told him to try hypnosis CDs ...I think he is despondent over attitude of pain clinic. They live in Kent so the hospital was based there.
I told him to go back and he won't Ladywriter to be n such pain everyday I feel for you. I think the psyche should be helped to handle intractable pain, if the pain can't be handled by traditional treatment the Clinic should refer you to someone who can offer alternative treatment. Hope someone helps you soon..
Saturday 13 August 2016 8.03pm
Well I have now joined a gym that has a pool in it. Its is expensive and just about manage the fee but the nhs are not going to help me, their general lack of support and inconsideration with patients is what I have experienced. My friend also went to a pain clinic some time back and all she was offered was anti depressants, so dont think its so good as maybe it was a few years back from what people have said.

Zoe wrote:
I think you always have to pay for the pool yourself, they don't let people use their pool. The same thing happened when I had physio.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: