Blood donors

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 24 August 2016 5.31pm
Please give blood. I am only here today boring you all witless thanks to the wonderful people who generously gave their time which is precious, but more valuable is that wonderful red stuff called blood. Had I not been a lucky recipient my children would have grown up without a mother.
Wednesday 24 August 2016 8.33pm
Good reminder Jan - there is a permanent donation centre close to Oxford Circus and to find a centre closer to SE1 try looking at this website:
https://my.blood.co.uk/home
Thursday 25 August 2016 8.31am
Outside the Hop Exchange there is a truck coming on a regular basis.
Thursday 25 August 2016 2.39pm
Don't look at The Blood Donor with Tony Hancock! Put you off for life. Youtube online or did etc :)))
Thursday 25 August 2016 5.53pm
I'd donated 56 units, then had an accident in the EEC, and needed just one unit transfusion there. I was so disappointed to learn that I wouldn't be allowed to give again , it was a part of my life and Tony Hancock never put me off ! These days we have comfortable chairs that move into a semi recline position, there's no giddiness, no pain, grateful and sympathetic staff, but you do gain a drink and snack afterwards , a sticker to show off to your colleagues and knowing that was a job well done.
Thursday 25 August 2016 9.01pm
Beats dentist anyway where supposed to be at most semi recline position but they seem to want clients or patients to lie totally supine to use their torturous methods and tools n implements on them

Patients everywhere unite against these sadists!
Thursday 25 August 2016 9.19pm
Wow SandyPandy..56 Units..incredible..is this ban on giving blood for a short while or permanent? I needed 13 or 14 pints/units after I had a massive aph. In the seventies. I asked about donating after and was told I could not because of my veins collapsing? I thank you on behalf of all the people you have saved..😀
Thursday 25 August 2016 9.22pm
I breezed in to the van outside the Hop Exchange last week, all eager to give up my blood as I've not done so for years now, only to be met by the grumpiest, snottiest nurse. She haughtily told me I had to make an appointment and treated me like I was some kind of gatecrasher.
When did it all become such an exclusive club? I have a pretty scatterbrain lifestyle and I can't stick to a timeframe; it was much easier to just nip in when I was in the area.
No silver plate for me now :-(
Friday 26 August 2016 6.58am
That's so disappointing. If you were choosing a dentist then you wouldn't want to see them again if you were treated like that. I've always attended sessions in the City, often in Livery Companies' Halls, where we can lay back and admire the paintings and chandeliers. If you phone the central blood donor call centre then you'll be able to choose where and when you'd like to attend , it'll be more civilized.When you have that appointment booked then there's far more chance of you turning up ! Please don't be put off by one person who had probably just heard that her child was in trouble at school. Please make today the day that you pick up that phone and chat to a lovely person in Ireland, ( usually )who'll really exude a warm welcome.It's the most precious thing that you can do. Just think of Jan the Old One, she wouldn't have made it to be called old without donors to pull her through.Go for it !
Friday 26 August 2016 8.11am
Thanks Sandy - I'll give it a go - it's the painted halls that appeals!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: