Traffic on Harper Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 30 August 2016 8.45pm
I'll try and keep this short and sweet - traffic down Harper Road has worsened considerably since the changes to the Elephant & Castle roundabout. It has resulted in all sorts of vehicles (Kingsferry coaches, out of service buses, HGVs) using it as a rat-run to get to New Kent Road.

The 20mph speed limit is ignored, HGvs launch themselves over speedbumps (making considerable noise), and coaches drive on the wrong side of the road because they can't navigate the dangerous chicanes created between traffic calming measures and parked cars. Plus there's a school on the road, with kids crossing frequently. It's an accident waiting to happen unless something is done about it urgently.

I don't want to stand in the way of progress, but the road clearly isn't designed for the type of traffic that's now being sent down it, so there's a e-petition to get the council to do something about it. If you're a local resident, and this issue effects you, it would be great if you could take the time to fill out the e-petition:

http://bit.ly/HarperRoad

Thanks very much!
Tuesday 30 August 2016 10.09pm
Ditto Lancaster Street! It's always been a quiet side road but now it's like Brand's Hatch with motorbikes, cars and building lorries doing a ton up. It's the same in Riley Road too. Thanks TFL!
Wednesday 31 August 2016 2.43pm
DebraG wrote:
Ditto Lancaster Street! It's always been a quiet side road but now it's like Brand's Hatch with motorbikes, cars and building lorries doing a ton up. It's the same in Riley Road too. Thanks TFL!
I don't know Lancaster Street but it's not obvious how the Elephant and Castle changes would affect it, could you elaborate?
I know Riley Road very well and can't see for the life of me how the Elephant and Castle is relevant to traffic conditions there; it's nowhere near. It is the case that when traffic's snarled up on Tower Bridge Road, clever dicks think they can beat the queue to join on Druid Street by following Tanner Street through the railway arch. Then when they find that's at a standstill too they try to find an escape down Riley Road.
Wednesday 31 August 2016 3.28pm
There is the mindset of TFL. That cars..lorries..vans are to blame. In my book not always true more the fault of road closures by the authorities . My brother drove from Kent to take me out. He sat in traffic for forty minutes waiting for traffic to clear near Lidls near Surrey Quays last Saturday. My good tempered brother was not so good tempered when he arrived.
Thursday 1 September 2016 11.04am
Walking up Harper Road this morning (9.35) I encountered four super sports cars all with "London to Monza" on their sides. They were more noticeable when two of them blocked the narrow part of the road so they could have a chat before roaring on down towards New Kent Road.

To quote the website, this is a Dodgeball Rally and they are.. "A mix of billionaires, and eccentrics racing multi-million pound supercars across Europe" heading for the F1 race in Italy later this week. And Harper Road is part of their official route through London.

Well if you want the fastest way to get past the Elephant everyone knows you just speed down Harper Road - no one is going to stop you, are they?

Just to help, TfL have changed the timing/priority of the traffic lights to ensure larger volumes can go down our road and Southwark want to put new double yellow lines to restrict parking along Harper Road in order to speed up the flow (this is in a 20 MPH restricted road) so logically, by next year it will be a red route.

Please go to https://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2558/traffic_orders Southwark Traffic Ordersand click on the order for the 18th of August then tell Southwark that Harper Road is a residential Street with a couple of Schools and not a race track or red route so please don't put more yellow lines on the road, just stop the HGVs and slow down the rest of the traffic.

Thank you!
Thursday 1 September 2016 12.32pm
It's the same on Marshalsea Road.
Bumper to bumper all day and most of night. Constant noise and fumes polluting the air.

We have buses and trucks thundering under our windows non stop. It has increased considerably over past year or so.
Thursday 1 September 2016 1.37pm
That's terrible Ian..can't believe it's allowed was going to post a bit about our street, but our problems seem minor to yours!
Thursday 1 September 2016 2.13pm
unfortunately following all the recent road changes most roads in our area seem to be like this-I am dreading what it is going to be like when Tower bridge shuts with Tooley street closed also it will be chaos
Friday 2 September 2016 3.40pm
Indeed. This may be the calm before the storm- Lord help us.
Friday 2 September 2016 9.12pm
Irritating as traffic build ups are- isn't this a symptom of too much traffic as a result of unnecessary car journeys. I witness tail to tail traffic all around SE1 & SE11 some from commercial vehicles (fair enough) but most from car drivers who could be making the same journey by alternative means.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: