GP Appointment a months wait

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Tuesday 30 August 2016 8.23pm
I rang up to get a doctors appointment today, still in august, they could not get me in until October. It does not get any easier and while the doctors are all good, I feel its not fair on patients having to wait a month or more for an appointment. They have daily emergency ones but you have to fight to get through on the phone and they all go within five minutes for that day. They are still taking on patients as well. Does anyone else have same problems in SE16 or SE1 areas or any areas surrounding? Would be interested in your answers about this?
Tuesday 30 August 2016 8.33pm
Am with the waterloo health centre in SE1 - dont have a problem getting same day appts. although they do have a telephone triage system where you phone the surgery . Give a brief description of the problem , they give you an approx time a GP will call you (normally an hour) . The GP calls and goes through your symptoms and gives you advice or tells you to come in . seems to work well
Wednesday 31 August 2016 2.46pm
Ladywriter why is the surgery taking on more patients if existing patients can't be seen? Unless more patients on the books more income.
Wednesday 31 August 2016 3.26pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Ladywriter why is the surgery taking on more patients if existing patients can't be seen? Unless more patients on the books more income.
I'm afraid you have answered your own question Jan :-(
Wednesday 31 August 2016 6.48pm
ninja999 wrote:
Am with the waterloo health centre in SE1 - dont have a problem getting same day appts. although they do have a telephone triage system where you phone the surgery . Give a brief description of the problem , they give you an approx time a GP will call you (normally an hour) . The GP calls and goes through your symptoms and gives you advice or tells you to come in . seems to work well
I guess the days of patient doctor confidentiality has gone out the window then. They do have daily emergency appointments but you have to get through within ten minutes of phoning to get one. Bit like the X Factor as to whether you get through or not. Then you have to tell the reception what is wrong before they will book you emergency one. I guess they take on more patients for more money, assume nhs give them so much for patient amounts since we dont pay our gps ourselves to see them, but remember there are also private patients registered as well with nhs gps and I think we forget about this side. The idea of a doctor calling you then decide whether you can see him or not, I dont like that really, so impersonal and that would put me off being with them to be honest. I think doing it this way is at high risk to the patient really. They cant be sure without proper examination. So they are going to get paid for talking to a patient on the phone and enter details onto their system as to say to the nhs yeah I saw this patient, when they didnt, just a thought.
Wednesday 31 August 2016 6.57pm
Jan the old one wrote:
I think all gps continue to take on more and more patients, thats why no one can get appointments now for that week, we have ongoing plans in our area for more and more apartments being built and they are all registering with our gp surgery. Plus recently another local one closed down so now all those patients been refer to mine as well. The reception told me its up to the nhs and doctors as to whether to choose to continue to register patients or not. There used to be six doctors at our surgery now there is four. But still a months wait. It wasnt like this a couple of years ago. The system is just letting people down now.
Wednesday 31 August 2016 10.08pm
No wonder people take themselves off to A&E...I agree Ladywriter in my younger days I would have been mortified t have to explain personal things to a receptionist ...if it happens now I'll just say I'm pregnant...then stand back and watch her face!
Thursday 1 September 2016 9.59am
The last time I phoned my GP practice, (Princess Street), I was offered an appointment the following day!

That was only a couple of months ago
Thursday 1 September 2016 6.41pm
Jan the old one wrote:
No wonder people take themselves off to A&E...I agree Ladywriter in my younger days I would have been mortified t have to explain personal things to a receptionist ...if it happens now I'll just say I'm pregnant...then stand back and watch her face!
yeah when you ring for daily emergency now you have to tell them whats wrong with you or you wont get the emergency appointment, but the reception staff are not qualified to decide since they are not doctor trained. but thats the way it is now. If you book a routine one which is a month wait you dont have to tell them nothing, I think with the daily ones they have to know to judge who is sicker to need it. The doctors are good there but I am really disappointed, I mean I got to wait five weeks to see the doctor. thats way it is now. These days if you are off work sick forget about doctors certificate, by the time you wait a month to get it your work place would have stopped the money anyway. Then you would have to explain to your work place how its gonna take you a month to get a sick note from the doctor when you go back...
Zoe
Thursday 1 September 2016 7.58pm
I'm with Blackfriars Medical Centre and have to wait at least a week, generally two for an appointment, it's much worse now than a couple of years ago. I suspect it's the reality of the cuts to the NHS that we are seeing.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: