Tate viewing platform

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Zoe
Sunday 4 September 2016 10.17am
I'm wondering what people's views are on the residents at Neo Bankside complaint about the viewing platform at the Tate.

I'm not feeling that sympathetic, as many of us end up with new buildings very close by and people able to see in (I have TfL staff at Palestra and students at the college. The college is a particular irritant as I was told the building wouldn't be higher than us, but it is).

It's only the price of their flats that makes this newsworthy. However, perhaps I am being harsh!
Sunday 4 September 2016 10.26am
When we went to look around one of the flats for Open House we asked the salesman if owners were made aware of the extension when they bought the flats and he said they were... I was not convinced all were told or even aware.
Sunday 4 September 2016 11.38am
Personally I'd find it very annoying to have hoards of tourists looking into my windows all day long, but as I understand it the planning permission for the Tate extension was passed more than a year before Neo Bankside's, so this was always going to happen. Whether the developers explained it to buyers I'm not sure, but you'd think that people would do their own research before spending huge sums on a new apartment.

Agree with your final comment Zoe!
Sunday 4 September 2016 9.33pm
It must be very irritating buying a flat with fantastic views only to have it spoiled by the erection of a new building. There's going to be a lot of irritated people in SE1 in the next five years.
Monday 5 September 2016 7.23am
There are a lot of irritable people in SE1, already, especially when they look out of the window and cannot see the sky.

I used to be able to see the Victoria Tower as I walked west along The Cut and the sun glinting on the golden top of the Monument when I walked in the opposite direction, and now those views are gone as I fear the panorama from Waterloo Bridge will go too if the Philistines supporting the Garden Bridge get their way.
Monday 5 September 2016 7.59am
Thanks to the Blackfriars Circus development I now live in the dark all the time. I can't see the sunsets, nor the stars, My once sunshine filled bedroom has turned into a shady little hovel. Never had a view but really depressed by all this dark - and winter's going to be even worse. Still, money talks and I don't have any so I suppose I don't count.
Monday 5 September 2016 8.32am
Living in London is not looking to get any easier...
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.21am
I had the opportunity to ask Sir Nicholas Serota (Tate director) about this today.

Hear his response here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8905

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.39am
My partner and I attended the launch of Neo Bankside and the model showed the Tate Modern extension. I made enquiries and we decided not to buy a flat to rent out due to the extension. I live in a neighbouring building to Neo and the Tate held many public consultation meetings which I attended. The planning process was clear and transparent. A few people are throwing their toys out of the pram because they didn't do their proper due diligence. The Tate Modern was the game changer for this area and the reason so much development has happened since it opened its doors long before Neo was built. Some of our development became overlooked by Neo once it was built. What's so special about Neo residents? The Tate Modern extension was funded by huge amounts of tax payers' money therefore, the viewing gallery should remain open so that visitors can look south over the views towards rapidly developing areas around Elephant and castle and beyond.
Wednesday 21 September 2016 9.55am
I absolutely support the Tate Modern's position. The Tate Modern went through a very thorough planning process involving many public consultation meetings. Also I attended the launch of Neo Bankside with my partner with the view to possibly buying a one bed as a buy to let. The model they had showed the Tate Modern extension and when I asked about it they were up front about how high it would be etc. Clearly some people either bought without visiting the development in person Or they and their lawyers didn't do their proper due diligence. The Tate Modern is the reason that this area of SE1 has developed so rapidly. The Neo flats wouldn't have even been built if there was no Tate Modern as the area wouldn't have been desirable. Huge amounts of public money were given for the Tate Modern extension so the public access should not be curtailed. It is a lie to say that the south side of the terrace only looks at Neo flats and the Blue Fin building. You actually get far reaching views to the south to the rapidly developing skyline of Elephant and Castle and beyond.

Another point is that the winter gardens, the areas that are mainly seen from the ground and the Tate Modern are not classed as living space under planning. They are ancillary
Space like a balcony. Neo residents have chosen to leave doors open between the living space and the winter gardens due to small living spaces. Also most people are at work when the Tate Modern is open during the week.

I would also like to say that some of our building became overlooked by Neo when it was built but we accepted it was part of the development of the area. I close my blinds if I don't want people looking in. Neo residents can do the same. Another option would be one way special film on Windows.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: