Nightmare on Leathermarket Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 11 September 2016 2.02pm
The traffic on Leathermarket Street is a worsening nightmare. I was walking my daughter back to my flat and was promptly shouted at and given the finger for....not walking on the sidewalk fast enough for the cars who were also DRIVING ON THE SIDEWALK.

The road is so narrow, with cars parked on one side, that there is no room for cars to pass each other. This ends in cars and trucks backed up at either end, cars driving full tilt on the sidewalk, horns blaring throughout the day and a good dose of swearing and 2 finger salutes passed around.

Who's in charge of this mess and to whom do I complain (besides everyone here)? I can't imagine what will happen when the bridge closes.

Thanks!
M
Sunday 11 September 2016 4.36pm
I believe that Leathermarket Street will become one-way once proposed traffic-changes in the area come into force. Afraid that I don't know off the top of my head what the timing is for that, but happy to do some digging for you if you don't mind waiting a few days.
Sunday 11 September 2016 4.55pm
In the meantime, perhaps temporary bollards may be the way forward. It's illegal for people to drive on the pavements, but that doesn't exactly stop people.

Sorry that they're causing so much hassle to you and your daughter, traffic around there can be a nightmare for pedestrians.
Sunday 11 September 2016 11.38pm
Snowsfields is bad too. The intelligence level of London Drivers means blaasting horns resulting in no effect will mean more blasting horns.
Monday 12 September 2016 7.55am
If so many roads were not closed off the smaller roads would not be used by impatient drivers. No excuse at all for driving on the pavement and doing rude signs. TFL ...road planning whatever should have their heads knocked together. Not all vehicles on the road are used on social jaunts, public transport does not always go where you need to be. The congestion charge was introduced to decrease amount of traffic in inner London. When I look out my window I can't see the difference, apart from cars,vans speeding down bartholomew street from new Kent rd. Because of the hold up caused by traffic unable to enter Tooley st. The buses,traffic now go down great Dover st.swing left into tower bridge rd.
Tee
Tuesday 13 September 2016 10.01am
Sadly it's the whole area. It used to be a lot quieter. They race down Tanner St, off TBR and then either on to Bermondsey St, or down Leathermarket St. I imagine the new system will start only when the station works have finished and St Thomas St is open again, so 2018. And those rat runs straight through will be cut off. They will be forced to turn on to the B St. I can't believe the impatience and recklessness of some drivers. And if they don't get their way within seconds, they are beeping their horns, even late at night, in a residential area!!
I'd really, really like to see (part of) Bermondsey Street and possibly a few surrounding tributary roads pedestrianised on Sundays, at least. Many other cities do this sort of thing.
Tuesday 13 September 2016 10.43am
Tee wrote:
Sadly it's the whole area. It used to be a lot quieter. They race down Tanner St, off TBR and then either on to Bermondsey St, or down Leathermarket St. I imagine the new system will start only when the station works have finished and St Thomas St is open again, so 2018. And those rat runs straight through will be cut off. They will be forced to turn on to the B St. I can't believe the impatience and recklessness of some drivers. And if they don't get their way within seconds, they are beeping their horns, even late at night, in a residential area!!
I'd really, really like to see (part of) Bermondsey Street and possibly a few surrounding tributary roads pedestrianised on Sundays, at least. Many other cities do this sort of thing.

I'm more and more in favour of pedestrianisation as well. It's very common in the rest of the EU and it seems to work very well there as well.
Saturday 17 September 2016 1.47pm
I would appreciate any additional info you have. Thank you so much!
Saturday 17 September 2016 1.49pm
I would *love* to see it pedestrianised, even if it was just at the weekend. Here's to hoping!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: