Bermondsey and Waterloo to share MP in constituency shakeup

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 September 2016 10.39am
Any thoughts on this? The whole plan, beyond SE1, almost seems like another plot to get rid of Jeremy Corbyn. The establishment are scared witless of his popularity.
Thursday 15 September 2016 10.17am
It's been in the planning quite a while so I don't think it can be Jeremy Corbyn's fault. LOL It all seems quite unnecessary to me and PROBABLY not saving very much money; in fact it will likely cost more to put it into operation. MPs that represent constituents in two boroughs will be overworked as they will be expected to attend both 'council led' meetings. The ITV news was more critical of the plans than the BBC. Funny that.
Thursday 15 September 2016 10.54am
It's not about saving money or getting rid of Corbyn.

These recommendations, made by the Boundary Commission, whom by the way are studiously impartial, have been in existence for nearly 9 years. Of course, the previous Labour government wouldn't implement them as they knew that their unfair electoral advantage was under threat.

It's about equalizing constituency sizes. At the moment you have some constituencies with over 100k voters, and some with 30k. That's simply unfair . The fact that Labour might suffer more from this process is irrelevant.

And why would "the establishment" want to get rid of Corbyn? The's the perfect weapon to ensure years of Tory rule.
Thursday 15 September 2016 1.07pm
Thursday 15 September 2016 1.11pm
LiviaDrusilla wrote:
And why would "the establishment" want to get rid of Corbyn? The's the perfect weapon to ensure years of Tory rule.

I've come across that comment quite a bit. We've had Farage "rising", Trump most likely becoming the next POTUS, the Brexit and Leicester winning the Premier League. I wouldn't write off Corbyn, and Owen Smith is a far, far weaker candidate who'd be useless in opposition as well. Theresa May is a tough cookie.
Thursday 15 September 2016 1.20pm
Here at Draper Towers, we're a bit miffed that the Draper Estate,
which has become a beacon of contemporary culture here at The Elephant and Castle
looks set (along with Strata) to disappear into the obscurity of the
Vauxhall/Camberwell quagmire. (did I say 'award winning' tenants association?)
Friday 16 September 2016 12.44pm
There are two issues here. Firstly should the number of MPs be reduced at all - I'm against it, but that isn't the issue with the boundary review.

What I have an issue with is how they've structured the constituencies to have so many across more than one borough. All four proposed Southwark constituencies are now shared with either Lambeth or Lewisham. This leads to wards feeling cut off from decisions and splits an MP's time between holding two different councils to account. How much time would Neil Coyle really spend looking at Bishops Ward for example?

I've run the numbers and there seems to be a much better way of doing this. I'll be putting in a submission to the commission, but would like to consult with others before I do so.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: