Tower Bridge should not be allowed to lift during rush hour

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 15 September 2016 3.38pm
Anyone who lives in SE1 will, at some point, have experienced the maddening frustration that comes from being stuck in traffic because of a Tower Bridge raise. I've often wondered why it's even allowed during rush hour.

Checking their Twitter feed, I see I'm not alone in venting my spleen; others with the same question are directed to their website, which says:

"Under the Corporation of London (Tower Bridge) Act 1885, the City of London Corporation is required to raise the Bridge to provide access to and egress from the Upper Pool of London for registered vessels with a mast or superstructure of 30 feet or more. The service is provided free of charge subject to 24 hours’ notice and is available any time, day or night, 365 days per year."

Given the relative lack of river crossings in the eastern half of London compared to the west, it strikes me as bonkers that the easternmost bridge in the city, already struggling due to being only one lane each way, is rendered even less useful by a piece of legislation that is so old it even predates the invention of the motor car.

How does one get a law changed in this country? If enough of us at least try, isn't there a chance of success? Because any impartial, objective observer could see that it makes no sense for Tower Bridge to lift during rush hour, and that during the hours of 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm, it should not be allowed to lift.
Thursday 15 September 2016 4.21pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:

How does one get a law changed in this country? If enough of us at least try, isn't there a chance of .

Try a petition?
Thursday 15 September 2016 5.03pm
Users could also check the lift times in advance, to avoid being stuck in traffic.

They can do so here.
Zoe
Thursday 15 September 2016 7.04pm
I think you have a point, though I always enjoy cycling down the other side in a big group once the bridge is back down. It's unlikely that the ships are moving to a schedule in the same way we are in rush hour, but of course you have to accept delay when driving into central London. I always think it's worse as a pedestrian.

Who is organised enough to check the bridge lifting, we all know we should but I am just never going to!
Thursday 15 September 2016 8.38pm
It depends on the tide I think ...what's the saying? Time and Tide wait for no man"
Thursday 15 September 2016 9.12pm
I agree - although there is something spectacular about watching the bridge open, as an activity is it quite pointless, a tourist attraction at best. It's not right that a cruise ship full of holidaymakers can interrupt traffic during rush hour. Perhaps they can take the trip past Canary Wharf a bit slower and arrive at nighttime instead. Would it be the end of the world if the bridge never opened again? London would carry on regardless

Having said that, it would be a shame to never have the opportunity to repeat the story of Bill Clinton finding himself stuck behind the gates and waiting for the bridge to reopen, having been separated from the official motorcade following dinner with Tony Blair at Pont de la Tour.
Thursday 15 September 2016 9.13pm
Jules62 wrote:
Users could also check the lift times in advance, to avoid being stuck in traffic.
They can do so here.

Not much use when you have to travel during rush hour though.
Thursday 15 September 2016 10.02pm
Jules62 wrote:
They can do so here.

eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Not much use when you have to travel during rush hour though.

It is useful for those who regularly cross the river on that bridge, so that they plan their journeys accordingly.
Friday 16 September 2016 7.58am
I completely disagree.

London exists because of the river. Sure, it's no longer a serious port, but the raising and lowering of the bridge is an everyday monument to that.

It takes 5 minutes. There are 8 lifting times today (one being at half past midnight). If you can't set off 5 minutes earlier, or put up with such a small delay, then that's a bit of a shame imho.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 16 September 2016 8.30am
Bel Ludovic wrote:
Anyone who lives in SE1 will, at some point, have experienced the maddening frustration that comes from being stuck in traffic because of a Tower Bridge raise.

Not me.

Bel Ludovic wrote:
Because any impartial, objective observer could see that it makes no sense for Tower Bridge to lift during rush hour, and that during the hours of 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm, it should not be allowed to lift.

So for six hours a day you want people that work on the river to twiddle their thumbs because you can't wait 5 minutes? Is your job more important than theirs?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: