Punch and Judy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 27 September 2016 6.44pm
Is it just me. We see almost everything at the National Theatre and almost all of it, Checkhov, Hare, you name it is well directed attacks at the establishment of the day. So why can we not take a pop at a politician in 2016. Boris has been a sitting duck, they all deserve it.

Related news & features

Zoe
Tuesday 27 September 2016 6.50pm
I think there might be a slight difference in taking a pop at politicians and repeatedly referring to someone as being the devil!
Tuesday 27 September 2016 6.58pm
I agree, I didn't see it but I just feel we are all a bit po-faced, and we need people who will take on whoever the establishment is at at any time
Zoe
Tuesday 27 September 2016 9.03pm
Yes, but Corbyn isn't the establishment, he's the one the establishment are attacking.
Tuesday 27 September 2016 11.07pm
Zoe wrote:
Yes, but Corbyn isn't the establishment, he's the one the establishment are attacking.

Exactly...
Wednesday 28 September 2016 9.01am
Zoe wrote:

Agreed.
Wednesday 28 September 2016 1.01pm
I'm a big fan of Corbyn but he's a figure in the public eye and is not immune or exempt from ridicule and parody. Would anyone be bothered if, perhaps, Wayne Roony had been portrayed as the devil, or Teresa May as Judy? I think not. People need to stop being so offended at every little thing and learn to laugh more.
Wednesday 28 September 2016 4.14pm
batfastard wrote:
I'm a big fan of Corbyn but he's a figure in the public eye and is not immune or exempt from ridicule and parody. Would anyone be bothered if, perhaps, Wayne Roony had been portrayed as the devil, or Teresa May as Judy? I think not. People need to stop being so offended at every little thing and learn to laugh more.

Maybe you have point - all those people who were offended when people sang "The Witch is Dead" at Thatcher's funeral should have seen the funny side of it as well.
Wednesday 28 September 2016 7.49pm
I didn't hear too many complaining when it was happening to Farage, oh well.

Don't see how people can sit back with a wry smile when these things go in their favour and then complain when it doesn't.
Zoe
Wednesday 28 September 2016 9.11pm
I've pondered this and I think it's because of the difference in setting and the figure of the devil being used. I don't have a problem with people doing a parody of Corbyn, but repeatedly suggesting he is the devil in a children's show in a way that frightened a child is probably going too far, particularly when that message is reinforced by the media.

There is also a difference between saying someone is a witch (though I think it's really sexist to call Thatcher a witch, she was an evil Tory but it's nothing to do with her being a woman) and saying someone is the devil.

When you compare the two figures, the devil is a universal character that represents the underworld and all that is evil, whereas a witch is a fairly benign figure. This is why it has to be qualified as a wicked witch, as opposed to the good witch of the north. You don't get the good devil of the north and the wicked devil, it's just the devil.

I also think that parents shouldn't have to expect a highly politicised Punch and Judy. There are often 'baddies' but it's universal figures rather than anything too extreme.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: