Manzes pies.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 28 September 2016 11.47am
Having eaten there in since 1949 I consider myself not an expert but someone who knows her pies..last Friday my daughter collected pie and mash , the pies were horrible, the mash watery. Speaking to other people they all say the same. Have they changed hands? Changed Cooks?
Wednesday 28 September 2016 2.48pm
Well, Jan, I am afraid I must agree with you. I have difficulty admitting this, because I love the place and I wouldn't want them to suffer but....the pies are extremely bland, the mash, indeed, watery.

I also think they could perhaps spice it up a bit, since our collective taste has shifted to spicier food.

Once again: I love this place, love the staff (am on kissing terms with some) and I want them to do well!
Wednesday 28 September 2016 8.55pm
Thanks for info, we was gonna go there as our local one has closed down, knowing this now probably wont bother.
Wednesday 28 September 2016 9.23pm
Hang on, Ladywriter1968: Manzies isn't just about the pie and mash. It's a unique place and well worth a visit. (put some Tabasco in your bag, and everything will be just fine)
Thursday 29 September 2016 7.49am
Are you lot sure? One day in 67 years when the pie-mash in Manze's weren't as good as it has been all Jan the old one's life and you get people like maurits telling them to change the original fast food recipe with spice, and for people to take in Tabasco Sauce to put on it!
And Ladywriter1968 needs to get a grip on reality and not base her choices on one person's opinion. Go in and make your own mind up, you know Manze has the pedigree that not many others have.
Manze is up there with the best; always has been and as long as they don't change anything (Spice FFS!) it will remain there.
What the Old One needs to do is go elsewhere and then she'll find out what she's missing. She'll soon come running back with her tail between her legs.
Thursday 29 September 2016 8.27am
Thank you for your comments, Silwood. I think I was well balanced in my remark that, indeed, Manzies 'has the pedigree that not many others have' (to use your well chosen words).

Many in the food industry would disagree that we shouldn't change original recipes: I think Coca Cola adjust their products to more contemporary preferences as well as McDonalds and many others.
I guess it all boils down to it being a matter of taste: de gustibus non est disputandem.

Luckily we agree on Manzies being a terrific asset to Tower Bridge Road.
Thursday 29 September 2016 9.24am
I cant say I've noticed a difference in 33 years?!!!! I go at least 2-3 times a month (greedy I know) but it still taste the same to me!
Thursday 29 September 2016 9.51am
Silwood sounds like a disgruntled cook-worker-manager-owner with his brusque response but he does make a good point in denouncing the idea that the pies need spicing up and if not spiced up take your own Tabasco sauce.
Let's hope Manzes never follow Maurits advice on how to lose customers.
We go to Mannzes because we like our pie and mash and stewed eels as they are always prepared and have been since our childhoods, not with the consistency we would hope for but close enough most of the time.
And in the meantime Maurits can buy meat samosas, make his own parsley sauce and chilli mash potato and enjoy his spiced up version at home
Thursday 29 September 2016 10.25am
I will need to try these pies one day to pass judgement. But all the pies I ever seen in the UK had a super thick layer of crust which is a real turn off for a French palate...
I think businesses need to evolve with time to survive and increasing your offer range (different spices, different meat) can only reach out new customers without alienating your old faithful ones...
And ok, you can get pie wrong and not to everyone's taste, but how hard is to do proper mash!
Thursday 29 September 2016 12.26pm
Oh boy, it was just a simple comment if the Chef/Cook/ has deserted the original recipe..or worse still the Shop changed hands. I repeat I have never eaten a pie and mash like it and if it was my first time of trying it I would never have eaten it again! Manzes to me was the epitome of pie and mash.

I have carried pie and mash all over the country to family members who have moved, as a matter of fact my husband carried loads of it in his hand luggage to South Africa, the licqour in pickled onion jars, pies and mash in Tupperware containers .

I know now that Manzes deliver their goods to you via post etc. And have been told that when they arrived they were delicious. The reason for my original post is that I am leaving my beloved wonderful SE1 and was going to fill the gap in my life was by ordering and having it delivered! But having had a manky pie experience with other people saying the same, am not so sure!
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: