Family History

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 30 September 2016 1.21pm
My great great uncle Charles Alfred MARTIN (1824-1913) of Frome, Somerset and family lived in the Borough from around the 1850s. In 1869 he was detained until Her Majesty's pleasure be known.|cases%23highlight

Looking to trace his descendants who may well still live in SE London.
Friday 30 September 2016 5.26pm hard life was...
Friday 30 September 2016 5.54pm
There was a family called Martin in the area in the 70s, they had a newsagents in Webber st, one of my greatest memories is getting caught stealing penny chew and the Mr Martin doing a job on me, phone in hand "yes officer I've got him here" I was bawling lol, I never stole again.

They were a large framed family, could've had German genes.
Thursday 6 October 2016 5.48pm
As an experienced genealogist of many years standing may I suggest, if you have not already done so, looking at the Electoral Rolls for Borough which are available to search on If you find the family you are looking for you can then track them each successive year thus finding our how long they lived at the given address and his descendants, assuming you know their various names, can be tracked the same way as well as by the Census and other means. This would bring the date of residence in Borough more up to date giving you more clues to lead you to present-day descendants. If you run into problems I may be able to help further if you PM me.
Sunday 16 October 2016 4.48pm
Thank you for your replies and suggestions.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: