Tower Bridge closure noise

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 30 September 2016 6.24pm
Last night at around 2am there was lengthy loud noise from the workmen dismantling structures on Tower Bridge. That specific work has now finished but it sets me wondering what we are to expect over the next 3 months. Does anyone know what restrictions on working hours are in place for this project ?
Friday 30 September 2016 6.26pm
as the city of london own it, run it and are the local authority, i suspect there are no restrictions as with last time ... however, i am only too happy to be proved wrong.
Friday 30 September 2016 10.28pm
Not good news I'm afraid, but the City of London have said that the work will be taking place 24x7:
Monday 3 October 2016 7.41pm
Didnt hear that but know that Jamaica road is even worse now, when I was walk back today the traffic must have been at standstill for ages and all routes leading into it as well. Its always been bad but worse now. People in that traffic must feel like sticking pins in themselves waiting there. Plus crossing the road is something of a challenge as they pull right across the lights even buses do so you cant get across at all, no care or consideration anymore.
Monday 3 October 2016 8.49pm
We walked along Jamaica road yesterday evening and the traffic for the tunnel was queuing back to the Tesco and then some. We walked to the newsagent past Sainsburys and it was definitely quicker on foot than by car.

Of course I don't know the reasons why people were driving but the vast majority of cars had only a single occupant. If all those people were to share, or take public transport then the queue might only stretch as far as Southwark Park.

Worse, there are some sections where queuing traffic stops buses entering the bus lanes. This needs to be fixed this otherwise the bus lanes are as good as useless
Monday 3 October 2016 9.22pm
Motorists are awful. Constantly breaking rules of the road to get a few extra metres.
Tuesday 4 October 2016 11.03am
You have to in London.

If you don't push your way out of junctions etc you will end up sitting there all day!
Tuesday 4 October 2016 11.13am
Only a complete nutter would choose to drive around these local streets recreationally, or when there's a much better public transport option (I don't deny there are a few nutters!)

I use public transport 90% of the time, but I do need to drive occasionally when I am visiting premises for business, normally at out-of-town industrial estates that aren't near train stations etc. No other option but to drive. Dreading a trip to suffolk next week; will add another hour or three to the journey time due to this closure.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: