Curlew Street Trees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 October 2016 11.38am
One of the trees on Curlew street has sadly been chopped down. One (presumably) local resident has attached notices to the remaining trees along the following lines

"These 5 trees make me feel like I'm in the med - somewhere warm & exotic - #treecharter Tell your story"

I'd have to agree that they are special and it would be terrible to lose them

Does there have to be any consultation with local residents before the council do this kind of thing? I don't recall seeing anything wrong with the one that is now absent and I'd hate to think the others in the area could be at risk.
Wednesday 5 October 2016 5.41pm
I have also seen this and think the trees make curlew street beautiful! I really hope they don't chop the other 4 down can we not contact the council over this?
Wednesday 5 October 2016 5.45pm
Works to the Curlew Street trees are listed in the September schedule of planned tree works in Southwark

Looks like only one was being removed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 5 October 2016 10.09pm
A couple of weeks ago we were sitting in our living room and heard the noise of an engine revving up outside followed by a guy shouting very loudly "oh s..t!"

The trees on Curlew St grow at an acute angle - a Waitrose delivery driver hadn't given one a wide enough berth and as a result it made a large dent in the roof of his van. It wasn't the one that was felled recently though - if you look at the first tree north of Gainsford St you can probably still see a chunk of tree missing, sadly. I think he learnt his lesson though.
Thursday 6 October 2016 11.59am
Thanks for the info James - I guess it would pay for us to keep an eye on this publication in the future and object to any felling publicised.

I fear that this particular tree may have been felled purely to stop scenarios like the one outlined by bohrsatom from occurring, yet I would much prefer the trees to stay and the lorries to take an alternative route - it's not like there aren't alternative options that don't involve squeezing down Curlew street...
Monday 10 October 2016 7.41am
I think it's due to the Tesco which will be arriving on the corner of Curlew and Queen Elizabeth streets
Monday 10 October 2016 8.13am
I had understood tesco withdrew and the old restaurant / dental space is being turned into offices.

A shame the tree had to come down nevertheless.
Monday 10 October 2016 2.47pm
The site earmarked for Tesco is now going to be offices thank goodness !

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: