'Education not Segregation'

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 5 October 2016 8.29pm
It's good to see Southwark Labour campaigning for 'Education not Segregation' prompted by the Tory initiative to re-introduce grammar schools.

So why do Southwark Labour, in the guise of the Council, fund local church schools which give admissions priority to children of parents who just happen go to church? Surely, that is promoting segregation? And is that not discrimination against people who just don't happen to go to a particular church?

There are also plenty of Southwark Council funded schools (some religious, others not) which claim not to be selective and which are not Grammar schools, but which undertake 'band or ability testing' and require 'supplementary information forms' to basically engineer a selective intake.

So the logical conclusion is this - if Southwark Labour really are serious about 'Education not Segregation' - then they have a chance to stamp it out right here, right now, in their own back-yard.
Wednesday 5 October 2016 9.22pm
Hear, hear!

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 October 2016 1.38am
The best way to educate this country's brightest young children is a difficult question (and whether or not grammar schools are the right answer is an issue to which I do not even begin to pretend to have a well researched answer to...) but the question raised above drives me mad. Personally, I struggle with any schools being faith schools (even if they are completely privately funded), but Council funded faith schools?!? Mental.
Thursday 6 October 2016 8.52am
For me it isn't about faith schools being funded in that way (though admittedly it is an issue for some). The problem I have is that most of the good or outstanding schools tend to be faith schools and anything else isn't up to much. The faith schools clearly do something well and those successes we should be looking to replicate elsewhere.
Thursday 6 October 2016 9.03am
I went to a grammar school in Kent when I was growing up.

I didn't always enjoy it, but it taught me discipline and how to apply myself. Best decision I could have made.
Thursday 6 October 2016 9.41am
Agree with all the posts, think education system needs reviewing . Grammar schools , central schools etc. But to decide a child is unworthy of a better education or grammar school at such an early age is wrong. The streaming that takes place at age ten ,exams etc.?
Thursday 6 October 2016 11.34am
NickTheGreek wrote:
I went to a grammar school in Kent when I was growing up.
I didn't always enjoy it, but it taught me discipline and how to apply myself. Best decision I could have made.

I think there's the common denominator between faith schools and grammar. Quite how that discipline is achieved is an interesting debate, perhaps the parents of such children are likely to be expectant of certain standards, perhaps the schools themselves are.
Thursday 6 October 2016 12.19pm
For clarification, I meant things like- standing up when a teacher walked into the room, having to go and see the headmaster if you hadn't polished your shoes etc etc on top of the usual deadlines for homework, achieving certain standards for grades/ exams.
Thursday 6 October 2016 12.23pm
So did I.
Thursday 6 October 2016 4.40pm
What next: bring back the 11 Plus?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network