Events in Potters Field Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Wednesday 9 June 2004 4.26pm
Does everybody know about the planned events in the Park. There are at present two big events proposed. One is at the end of this month where an event company want to relay Wimbledon to a large screen for several days with associated entertainments etc. The second is to take over the whole park for five weeks from 24th July for another commercial event very reminiscent of David Blaine. If you have not heard about these planned events you should have. Complain to your councillor.
Wednesday 9 June 2004 5.03pm
how did you find out? Where can we get information from?
Wednesday 9 June 2004 5.04pm
What do you know about the second one?

(Getting very worried about an unwanted reminder about how awful the end of last Summer was in Tower Bridge due to the raging hoards coming to see David Bland)
Wednesday 9 June 2004 5.53pm
I found out because some one put a copy letter of complaint through my letterbox. I then called the person to whom the letter was addressed and got the details. I was furious because I have been attending steering committee mneetings regarding Potters Field Park as a representative of Tooley Street tenents and Residents association yet had not received tthe official notices from Southwark. IF you send me ( your e-mail addresses I will send you everything I have.
Also you can e-mail to get put on her mailing list. She says she will only registrer Tenants associations but it will do no harm to contact her
Wednesday 9 June 2004 6.39pm
Thanks Alan - two e-mails (one to you, and one to Kirty Read) are on their way....

Wednesday 9 June 2004 7.13pm

Hi Craig
Have sent you everything - hope it does not clog up your mailbox too much!
Wednesday 9 June 2004 10.51pm
Hi Alan,

I am also now recalling our summer of hell because of David Blinking Blaine.
Would you be willing to send me the details too so I can get on my soapbox and complain too.
What di you think is the best course of action for complaint?
What can we all do?

Thursday 10 June 2004 8.07am
Hi Jo
I am just about to send you all the details I have. I'm afraid there are quite a lot of documents so it may take a while to download. The first line of complaint must be to your local councillor that they have not properly distributed notices of the events. If you look at the PDF Wimbledon file you will see it was sent out on 5th May and comments due back by 26th May. I am attending a steering group meeting this afternoon regarding Potters Field Park and will demand a full investigation into why their distribution of the notices has been virtually non existent. I will keep you informed of their responses.
Maybe we should ask them to post all notices on their website?
Thursday 10 June 2004 9.30am
Thanks for sending the documents through; very interesting reading.

I have no objection to the big screen idea for Wimbledon - it'll only last a couple of days, and will be over by 8pm each evening. On the other hand, the suggestion of turning the recently re-grassed Potter's Fields into the "O2 Beach" for five weeks is completely unacceptable....

@James - is there any way that you can post the documents relating to these events on the site so that everyone has access?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10 June 2004 9.31am by Craig.
Thursday 10 June 2004 11.35am
Southwark were pretty patchy about sending the documentation through to me when I was chair of the TA too. Once we even had to get a friendly lawyer to send them a 'letter before action' to get them to back down. In that case we ended up making a delegation to a council committee (in the days when policy was actually set in such things...) to get them to instruct the Parks Department to back down.

This whole thing is related to the lack of money in Southwark Parks' budget, since the money they get from allowing Potters to be trashed is never ringfenced to be spent on Potters but is spent on other parks elsewhere in the borough.

After last summer's Blaine farrago I can't understand why the Parks people are even entertaining the idea of such a big event as you describe for even a nanosecond. I sincerely hope that ward councillors are proving responsive. You might also want to try and get the GLA's corporate affairs people to complain too as I can't imagine the Blaine nonsense was much good for their attempts to get any work done last summer.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: