Postal ballot papers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 9 June 2004 11.02pm
has anyone had their postal ballot papers through by post.....?

Yeah, I know, I know. They were sent to that big black hole otherwise known as mandela way sorting office....

But anyway, I haven't got one although I most certainly am registered to vote.

would be interested in a straw poll as to other forum members.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 9 June 2004 11.07pm by James Hatts.
Thursday 10 June 2004 9.27am
Had mine (and Mrs I, hers), about 10 days ago.

Of course, it took another week to get the brochure saying what all the candidates were standing for (by which time I'd sent my vote off).

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 June 2004 11.12am
I had no problem with my ballot papers - but Simon Hughes didn't do himself any favours by sending me a packet of promotional stuff yesterday without a stamp on it.

The envelope didn't make clear what it was, so I paid 27pence in unpaid postage, and a £ 1 handling fee, thinking it was personal mail !!!

*edited to say, my name has changed from "Harriet" following the upgrade, and someone else appears to have registered my old one, so I guess I'm stuck with this one...*

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10 June 2004 11.17am by Siduhe.
Thursday 10 June 2004 12.57pm
can anyone offer me advice?

I have had no voting info or ballot paper through at all.

Can anyone tell me where I should go to vote in person? I live in SE1, just off the Old Kent Rd, by East St.

I plan to go there with ID and proof of address and argue my case.

Can't believe Blair is claiming Britain as a democratic country....this election is a scandal (as per story on the front page of yesterday's Times, stolen voting papers, rigged election etc etc etc)
Thursday 10 June 2004 1.44pm
I live just north of OK road, and the polling station for me is that church in the middle of the estate between Lynton and Grange rds. I'm sure if you go there, and that's not the right place they'll direct you to the right place, although I don't think they'll let you vote, as they'll have no proof that you havn't already postal voted.
Thursday 10 June 2004 1.57pm
Really?

But this is crazy. It's basically a case of not being allowed to vote, when I registered months and months ago.

As an abuse of democracy it's already bad enough, but in an election where every vote counts this is particularly galling.

Thursday 10 June 2004 2.00pm
Fedora,

Just a thought, but are you certain that you're registered for a postal vote in these elections ? I have a postal vote for the general election - and assumed that I would have the same for these elections.

When I received a poll card (which tells you where to go to vote in person), I rang up the Electoral Roll people, and they explained that you have to register seperately for a postal vote in local government elections (which I then did).

If you haven't registered seperately for a postal vote, you should be fine to go to your local station with photo ID.

The full list of stations in our area is at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Uploads/FILE_8213.pdf. Sorry, I don't know which one is closest to you.
Thursday 10 June 2004 2.15pm
Harriet,

you are a marvel. Thank you.

I must say I was confused as to whether I am registered for a postal vote or not. But I don't have a polling card. Precisely nothing about the election through the post...quel surprise....

Thursday 10 June 2004 3.48pm
And (I know it was only according to the Standard, so maybe not worth the ink), if it really is a neck-and-necker with Norris and Ken, every vote counts!!

Hope you manage to cast yours, fedora

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 10 June 2004 7.17pm
The Standard said Ken and Norris were neck and neck to convince everyone who thought Ken was a foregone conclusion to go and vote for him.
I am so convinced Ken will win in the first count that I voted for Simon although he has no chance. I liked Simons promise that he would keep the tube running until 2am on Thu. Fri. Sat. What other major city in the world comes to a standstill at 12.30am apart from the night buses.
I voted at Hankey polling station, and I'm afraid that's what Simon will need after the result.

PS. I've added a â„¢ to my phoney name.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: