The Woolpack, Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 13 October 2016 3.30pm
Sorry to say this is being taken over by Youngs brewery.

The menu has already been deemed to not make enough gross profit, so expect more frozen food reheated.

The staff cost more than minimum wage so will replaced with cheaper options.

The eccentric beer options will be replaced by Youngs regular options.

RIP another independent SE1 institution.
Tee
Monday 17 October 2016 6.13pm
Any sources for this? When is this going to happen?
Monday 17 October 2016 6.24pm
Sad to say this is true. Noticed it a few weeks ago when the top of my receipt said Youngs instead of the Woolpack.

Popped in tonight and they've already changed the wine list and increased prices. Ive heard rumours half the staff are leaving as a result. Really gutted!
Wednesday 19 October 2016 10.10am
Whaaat?

Oh no, such a shame.
Wednesday 19 October 2016 1.01pm
I would say that Youngs taking over needn't be bad news. One of the best pubs in London (to my mind), The Lamb on Lamb's Conduit Street is a Young's pub, particularly lovely for its original interior and unfussy set-up. It's a pub, basically. That was a Young's takeover some years back, I believe, and they didn't mess it up.

I know it seems a shame to lose an independent, but they're a better brewery than most. I've no vested interest, I should add (apart from liking a pint of Young's Ordinary)...
npt
Thursday 20 October 2016 1.33pm
seoneoff wrote:
I would say that Youngs taking over needn't be bad news. One of the best pubs in London (to my mind), The Lamb on Lamb's Conduit Street is a Young's pub, particularly lovely for its original interior and unfussy set-up. It's a pub, basically. That was a Young's takeover some years back, I believe, and they didn't mess it up.
I know it seems a shame to lose an independent, but they're a better brewery than most. I've no vested interest, I should add (apart from liking a pint of Young's Ordinary)...

Tend to agree here. Let's suck it and see. Could be worse, could be property developers.
Friday 28 October 2016 3.09am
It's still run by the same people as far as I know.
Young's bought the freehold & the tenants are on a tied lease which most likely explains the beer changes.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: