Flat Iron Square

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 14 October 2016 10.14am
Opening on the 20th.

There seems to be a lot of work and effort going into this, it'll be interesting to see how it does.

Has anyone tried Where The Pancakes Are?
Friday 14 October 2016 11.31am
Yes tried Where the pancakes are and it was wonderful and the lady that owns it is absolutely lovely I wish her all the success!
Monday 17 October 2016 8.00pm
Is this an invented name or something that already existed locally?
Monday 17 October 2016 8.09pm
Flat Iron Square is the square where Union Street meets Southwark Bridge Road (where The Island Cafe is). Certainly not a recent invention.

Personally I think it's a bit of a shame that this new venture - essentially in the railway arches to the north - has taken the name of the square itself (ie the public open space / highway) and turned it into a brand.

It kind of takes something away from the other businesses and activities in the square that aren't part of the new thing.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 9.24am
Pretty sure that back in the 80s that cafe was a public toilet - ahh
Tuesday 18 October 2016 10.04am
In the 1920's my mother used to walk from her home in Snowsfields to her work ( hard labour) for a fruit and nut company on the Southbank as it is now known. Her route covered the full length of Union Street and involved crossing Flat Iron Square. I always thought it was known by that name by the locals and was not a proper street name. I also used to think that the term 'The Obelisk' was a local term for St. Georges Circus but have since discovered that 'The Obelisk' was the proper term.

Good old mum, I prefer your location names to most modern ones including your version of 'The Ring' for the junction of The Cut/Union Street/Blackfriars Road.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 12.17pm
As a relative newcomer to the area, I'd assumed it was called Flat Iron Square because it's triangular?
Tuesday 18 October 2016 12.43pm
It was an island, in the shape of an iron, yes triangular. Took me ages to forget that was a public lav, cheers Chelsea ;) I like the look of that café though, always reminds me of being abroad and I could go in and buy a li-lo and some goggles.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 6.35pm
Was getting adverts for this Tatami Ramen place on Facebook - it says Devonshire House, so will it be on the actual square then?

Sunday 23 October 2016 4.51pm
Just tried this for the first time - a little disappointing?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: