County Hall Owners...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 12 May 2002 10.12pm
Legally Shirayama have every right to deny access into County Hall, from a compassionate view though would it really hurt?

I thought that the Japanese treated elderly people with respect, and touchingly gave dignity to their dead by ceremonies marking the date of passing, shame they could not do that in this case.

If there were ever a case against sellling of our architectural treasures....One day the Japanese on the river Thames, next day the Aga Khan......who's next Bin Laden....
I hope the Japensese have a rethink on this, so if there are any visitors from the land of The Rising Sun out there...put a word in for the British Legion!
Monday 13 May 2002 7.12pm
Apparently the Japanese ambassador had to intervene last time to allow them access - guess it's all to do with revenge for losing face - the Japanese just will not back down and risk losing this all important face.
Perhaps behind the scenes negotiation is the key?
Sunday 26 May 2002 5.01am
Perhaps worth noting is the apparant failure of Lambeth to collect the 5million planning gain money due from the developers. There was a deadline on it and when I last heard there was a real danger that it would never be collected.
So the very least that can be done is for the developers to allow respect to be paid to brave men who gave everythng for us.
Sunday 26 May 2002 7.17pm
I'm in total agreement Sarah, and the brave few that have survived are living out their remaining years in poverty , and more often than not physical pain.

I'm not familiar with the planning / devlopers bit though, what exactly is planning gain money? ;-)
Monday 27 May 2002 5.30am
Ha. Some people might say it is a bribe developers pay Councils in order to get planning permission. And a big issue in SE1 where there is a lot of it.
Also called Section 106 it relates to an idea that local people should not lose out by development. Every development should produce a 'planning gain'. So when a big development happens the developer usually has to promise to build social housing ( or give the Council money to build it) improve the immediate environment (which is why we got a 350,000 roundabout at Lambeth Bridge) or put money into traffic management, green space, schools or other local facilities.

The problem happens when a Council has not got an immediate plan for money for money flowing from a development. Rather than delay the development they agree the sum and a say they will come up with somethng within, say, a seven year period. Waterloo Community Development Group calculated last year that there was probably 7-8 million from County Hall and nearby that Lambeth had not collected and which was about to be lost. The Lambeth planning official at the meeting did not dispute this! Plus the I understand the three year temporary permission for the London Eye contained virtually no provision for planning gain, yet the crouds has cost the local authority ( eg us) a fortune in street cleaning, coach management, illegal vendor control and more.

The reason I am such an anorack on this is that two years ago local mums got together to fight South Bank Employer Group proposals to build a tennis centre on Archbishops Park, the largest in SE1. The scheme would have been paid for by by Section 106 plus regeneration money (which South Bank Employers Group administer).

We have spent the last two years trying to get the Council to allow us to put together a management plan to improve the park as it is, rather than build. We do need good quality green space in and amongst all the buildings. The idea was that Lambeth would then have a community endorsed plan to soak up some of the money they were in danger of handing back to developers. Plus since Lambeth have failed to negotiate a new lease on the park, the green space remains in danger.

Sounds sensible but........two years later after we raised 35,000 the Coucil have finally given us the go ahead and the brief is out for tender. But the endless quibbling goes on.

Perhaps the hotel group would get on side with us. They push Lambeth and the Developers to put their money into our park (which is only 3 minutes away and which was used by County Hall workers in their lunch break ) and a suitable memorial put in the park, alongside the children's playground so the next generation of both office workers and children do not forget what they owe.

Sorry James about the longest ever post. But the whole sorry story is worth broadcasting.
Monday 27 May 2002 6.35am
Thanks Sarah, it was not too long, you should some of mine....and now I know! So is that the payment that Southwark will receive for allowing demolishing Orbit House on the corner of Union Street/Blackfriars Road? that was a previous posting here... I think I read somehwere on here that the payment would benefit and compensate the occupants of Nelson Square Gardens for mess/noise etc?
Monday 27 May 2002 6.37pm
Yes, probably. Though you won't get cash in hand. Instead something nebulous like new pavement or improvement to the local school. Or in lambeth it might be more social shousing in Streatham. (Cynicism here, but Lambeth is always frustrated that the money comes inot the north and they want to spend it in the south.)

I'm not too sure how you find out. It is a part of a planning decision so it ought to be downloadable from the Southwark website. But the process seems mysterious and murky. The best route is to write to your local Councillor and ask about the planning gain (S106) connected to the development. How much it is, and how and when will it be spent. You could also ask who will be deciding how it is spent and whether local residents get a say.......... That will get you marked out pretty quickly as a trouble maker!

And how old are you?
Tuesday 28 May 2002 6.51am
Sarah - age is irrelevant! but as you seem nice and discreet I will tell you because I know it will remain a secret on here!
Well I'll give you a hint anyway.... I was born in St.Albans and moved to Gordon Grove near Flaxman Road , Loughborough Junction just before the end of the war.

My earliest memories are playing in the beautiful gardens around there that had been bombed, and playing in a train that had been hit and was leaning at a perilous angle . All us children used to jump up and down to see if it could move a bit more! We picked all the flowers around it and used to lay them in small bunches for the people who had died.....not sure if any one did mind, it just seemed the thing to do!
Crikey where did that all come from? I have raided my memory banks! and could go on forever....

I used to title of Jan the Old One to differentiate between me and anopther young lady who had started posting here.

I have rebelled against various things at different times of my life, I normally get my frustration out by writing letters to tjhe press and if someone responds to the issue or writes to me after they have been printed I feel better!

So Jan the Old Trouble Maker has a certain appeal!.....;-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: