The Teen Canteen

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 17 October 2016 10.35am
Teen Canteen, Elephant & Castle. The place to dance and hang out in the 1950's. Some great singers emerged from near The Elephant area. Wee Willie Harris, Tommy Steele, Terry Dene. Punks were a bit late to the party, Wee Willie Harris was dying his hair pink way back then!!
My late sister often went to The Teen. If anyone has any photos (I have found one or two on the internet), or maybe the exact street address for further research and interest, I would be grateful.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 8.47am
There is some info on that scene, and a few photos here.

This photo is captioned: "Teddy Boys seen here at the Thirteen Canteen, Elephant and Castle, London 4th July 1955". I think Teen Canteen and Thirteen Canteen must have been the same place.
Tuesday 18 October 2016 3.35pm
Thanks, I had previously seen the Edwardianteddyboy.com site where it shows: Teddy Boys outside the Elephant & Castle "Teen" Canteen in 1955. Friends of mine had usually referred to it just as The Teen. I am now beginning to think you are correct and that that your photo noting it as "Thirteen" may have been the street number of an address at the Elephant? Will investigate further and also contact Alamy to check if they have any exif information regarding the photos. Thanks agin for the useful information.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: