Beware of this scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 17 October 2016 12.36pm
I had a telephone message left on my voicemail on Friday inviting me to a marketing consultation at John Lewis, Oxford Street. It would last for 45 minutes and I would be paid 40.00 for my time.
I rang John Lewis as something did not feel right, and they confirmed after looking into it that this was "almost certainly a scam".

So beware
Has anyone else had this happen?
Monday 17 October 2016 1.19pm
strange one, did they ask you to phone them back to confirm that you would attend as then they may have waited to see you go if you had said yes, then your home would have been empty
Monday 17 October 2016 1.35pm
Funny I did not think of that, chelsea.
I thought it may be a data harvesting scam, getting phone number, personal details, bank account to pay in, that sort of thing.
I never, ever give any of this kind of information over the telephone.
Monday 17 October 2016 1.57pm
I think people can just make money out of you ringing the number they leave.
Monday 17 October 2016 3.23pm
Karen I wrote:
I think people can just make money out of you ringing the number they leave.

You may be right, Karen - if they leave you a message with a number to call back on to confirm, it's a premium rate number -
see https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/scams/scams/common-scams/financial-and-prize-draw-scams/premium-rate-prize-draw-scams/
Tuesday 18 October 2016 8.25am
Sounds about right - get you to call back some premium rate line, if its genuine - they will call you back
Tuesday 18 October 2016 8.41am
It does have all the appearances of a scam. They dangle the reward of 40 for less than an hour of your time (you could even combine it with some shopping at JL's), but they would need your bank a/c details to pay you the 40 and therein lays the scam.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: