Via Bermondsey

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 22 October 2016 4.05pm
The former Ticino restaurant is back on the map. Excellent lunch today - perfect autumn menu, grilled prawns with the right amount of saffron, risotto with chestnuts, brandy and pancetta, and squash ravioli with sage. Followed by a perfect selection of cheese - at the right temperature. Wine list very limited , but very good - including good grappa - and decor dreary, but we were too busy enjoying the meal and chatting to the waitress to notice the decor. Definitely time to try it out again.
Monday 24 October 2016 11.47am
I had lunch there on Saturday too, very good.
One thing, service included on the bill at 18% .... nice work if you can get it!
Monday 24 October 2016 1.03pm
MCR2 wrote:
One thing, service included on the bill at 18% .... nice work if you can get it!

First off, I've not been in Ticino, but I'd say that for a restaurant in the U.K., 18% is pushing the envelope to the extreme.
In the U.S. you'll often get suggestions at the bottom of the check, (okay, I know it's cheque here), gratuities, 18% = X, 20%= X, 25%=X.
Over here, rarely will a restaurant add more than a suggested 12.5%.
If I was hit with an 18% tip in a U.K. restaurant, unless a nubile 21 y.o. waitress had peeled my grapes and hand fed me while caressing my hands, I'd tell them no, and tip between 10% and 15% depending on the service.
Monday 24 October 2016 8.16pm
This still hold true when it comes to tipping, particularly since some dining establishments here in the UK don't actually pass on tips to their staff...

Tuesday 25 October 2016 6.15pm
MCR2 wrote:

Hi

I would like to introduce myself. I am the manager at Via Bermondsey and I thank you for coming to visit us and trying our menu. I am so sorry about the service charge at 18% as we do not charge this amount at any given time. I can only deduce that the error occurred as we are still familiarising ourselves with the till system. Currently there is a voluntary service charge of 10% for parties of 5+. Therefore we would ask that you come back with your bill and we will certainly reimburse you. Once more we are very sorry for the error.

We are so pleased about the positive comments on the food and we look forward to getting to know the community.

Warm wishes
Tuesday 25 October 2016 7.26pm
Rurik wrote:
MCR2 wrote:

Hi

I would like to introduce myself. I am the manager at Via Bermondsey and I thank you for coming to visit us and trying our menu. I am so sorry about the service charge at 18% as we do not charge this amount at any given time. I can only deduce that the error occurred as we are still familiarising ourselves with the till system. Currently there is a voluntary service charge of 10% for parties of 5+. Therefore we would ask that you come back with your bill and we will certainly reimburse you. Once more we are very sorry for the error.

We are so pleased about the positive comments on the food and we look forward to getting to know the community.

Warm wishes

Sounds genuine to me, nice of the guy, (and good P.R.), gives me the impetus to check the place out myself.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 10.05am
Rurik,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, obviously tipping is optional so others may not feel the same but the extra charge was only a couple quid and as the waitress had been lovely, especially with our toddler so was happy to leave it.
We'll be back.

Cheers
MP
Saturday 18 February 2017 12.55pm
What happened to this place?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: