Lend Lease tree planting

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 6.55am
Hello - has anyone had experience of the Lend Lease tree-planting scheme (to replace trees thery felled on the Heygate Estate)? LL are proposing to plant a "cypress oak" on a small strip of Council-owned land adjacent to my house and front garden. I maintain that land on behalf of the Council's Gardening Team. The proposed tree grows to 30 metres! The letter informs me that if I "have concerns" I must contact them by mid-November. I presume this is the "consultation" they promised after planting trees elsewhere without consulting the residents affected. Thanks for your help.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 9.43am
They just stuck two or three in our street, one was knocked by the coaches....no one told u what variety it was. There was posts on here about it. They are 'giving' Southwark One thousand and two trees as a goodwill gesture for stealing 1,200 homes on the Heygate.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 12.07pm
They have plans to stick about a dozen trees here on The Draper Estate.
I know there were problems on the Rockingham Estate last year, when they planted and then removed trees.
It's contentious, as the trees are likely to need maintenance, the cost of which will probably fall to the housing department. There are security issues as the trees could obscure lines of sight, as well as interfering with existing plans for our estate.
Their scheme seems to be driven by targets, rather than desire from local residents, but I'm sure we can sort something out with the LendLease team
Wednesday 26 October 2016 12.18pm
Alberta Ally wrote:
Hello - has anyone had experience of the Lend Lease tree-planting scheme (to replace trees thery felled on the Heygate Estate)? LL are proposing to plant a "cypress oak" on a small strip of Council-owned land adjacent to my house and front garden. I maintain that land on behalf of the Council's Gardening Team. The proposed tree grows to 30 metres! The letter informs me that if I "have concerns" I must contact them by mid-November. I presume this is the "consultation" they promised after planting trees elsewhere without consulting the residents affected. Thanks for your help.

Hi Ally, I don't know how long your alleged cypress oak takes to reach 30 metres, probably many years, but I'd be thinking about roots, ground upheaval, and house damage, especially if you own your property.
Even if it's local authority, you can do without the hassle of getting them to make it good.
It may be worth listing that as a genuine concern, before the proposal becomes a reality.
Wednesday 26 October 2016 2.59pm
They have planted loads of trees around Tabard Gardens this year. They have maintained them really well with watering etc throughout the summer.
Oh they look fantastic btw
Thursday 27 October 2016 10.02am
Love Cypress trees, these will be a nice addition to the area
Thursday 24 November 2016 7.27pm
Southwark Council's Heygate developing 'partner' LendLease's paid for piece in today's Guardian:
Why trees are the silent heroes of our cities
Explains why, having cut down dozens of trees on The Heygate, they now want to plant a load elsewhere.
"Trees, yes please, but not in my backyard !"
appears to be the rallying cry (and someone else can pay for their upkeep)
You couldn't make it up!
Thursday 24 November 2016 10.01pm
graham wrote:
Southwark Council's Heygate developing 'partner' LendLease's paid for piece in today's Guardian:
Why trees are the silent heroes of our cities
Explains why, having cut down dozens of trees on The Heygate, they now want to plant a load elsewhere.
"Trees, yes please, but not in my backyard !"
appears to be the rallying cry (and someone else can pay for their upkeep)
You couldn't make it up!
I think what is happening is fantastic.
The trees they have planted in my community have been mature trees and probably cost in the region of 500 each. I enjoy seeing them and experiencing a greener environment. As I've said before they have maintained them throughout this summer and once they have established very little maintenance will be required.
No connection , just a very happy and grateful local.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: