Youths throwing fireworks on Weston St, near Long Lane

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 26 October 2016 11.05pm
About 8.45pm tonight there was a group of around 12 to 15 Caucasian youths (late teens/early twenties including 3 female, the rest were male, some on bikes) gathering and causing anti-social behaviour. They were throwing fireworks on the terrace houses and cars facing Weston Street, near corner of Long Lane, diagonally opposite Sainsbury's.

When I asked them to stop or I'll call the police they just laughed at me. I knocked on a neighbours' house to alert. They then threw one aimed at me which just missed.

I called 999 and was advised they would send a police car around. I felt threatened and unsafe so my neighbour walked me back home. I didn't see any police arrive but the youths eventually moved on around 20 minutes later. I'm disappointed the police didn't come around and wondering is it worth raising a complaint.

Did anyone see where the group moved onto, or noticed anything similar?
Friday 28 October 2016 9.53am
It really is about time that fireworks were banned for sale to the general public. They are essentially explosives and every year, people misuse them and are injured. Just look at the campaigns, year after year, telling people not to misuse them and what happens? Apart from council organised events, it's time fireworks were removed from sale.
Friday 28 October 2016 11.39am
Hi there

How horrible for you! At about 6:30pm I was walking home when I noticed a large group of kids just round the corner at the junction of Pardoner Street and Manciple Street as I was walking down Weston Street from Long Lane. I only saw them out of the corner of my eye but they were being pretty noisy.

I carried on walking down Weston about 50m and then a large group on bikes and running moved up to Long Lane. Out of view I heard a really loud firework go off where they were. I'm quite glad I was a couple of minutes ahead of them as it was quite intimidating.

Dugmac
Friday 28 October 2016 12.56pm
I was woken up at around 1130pm last night by people (young men by the sound of it and lots of them) setting off fireworks all along Druid Street, the Maltby Street end. They sounded really rowdy (eg firing the fireworks at each other and towards the flats) - not a group I'd feel confident to approach to ask nicely to keep it down. I was mainly worried about the cat as he's terrified of the noise but fortunately he was under the bed rather than outside! Oh Gawd, fireworks haven't been too much of a problem in recent years near us - I hope we're not in for a bad year.
Friday 28 October 2016 3.27pm
I hate sparklers, the amount of people who let their children hold and wave them around even with gloves on, can't remember the total heat of them now. If you have to let children use them wear gloves, stick sparkler in long potatoe and place them in buckets of cold water after. Can't help being over the top I know, my friends Son picked one that he dropped and sustained burn across Palm..
Zoe
Friday 28 October 2016 6.20pm
I agree with Batfastard, these are potentially lethal weapons and should be banned. We don't people have guns and they shouldn't be allowed fireworks (which ironically are quite well controlled in America).
Monday 31 October 2016 8.52pm
I just had a couple thrown all around me and commuters walking onto Weston Street from London Bridge station. I got a very minor burn just below my eye lid. It all happened so fast and wherever I turned they were everywhere. I couldn't escape but stood still and cover my eyes. A little shaken still but okay. I rang the police when I got home and they just got back to me. I saw my neighbour walking her little girl as I got home and thought it could have been her little one.

The thugs were throwing fireworks out of speeding car. I am used to fireworks as a child seeing neighbours playing them on Chinese New Year sensibly in Asia. Some are for the noise than the sparks. However, the type that the thugs just thrown out of the car are lethal weapons. These are banned even in country allowing fireworks on Chinese New Year. Each exploded numerous times sending sparks and more explosion everywhere. It could have set a car or anyone's jacket on fire and I am not joking. I am so lucky that it narrowly missed my right eye.

Do take care when walking out of London Bridge station. The car was speeding along Weston Street and near arches of London Bridge station this evening. There were many people there and I hope they report it to the police too. Someone is going to get hurt if this continues. The officer who rang me said that they are taking this incident very seriously.
Monday 31 October 2016 9.45pm
Kaptau that's horrendous . Let's hope they catch them and charge them with assault with a deadly weapon.and don't bail them. Hope there's no lasting damaged to your eye.
Monday 31 October 2016 11.26pm
batfastard wrote:
It really is about time that fireworks were banned for sale to the general public. They are essentially explosives and every year, people misuse them and are injured. Just look at the campaigns, year after year, telling people not to misuse them and what happens? Apart from council organised events, it's time fireworks were removed from sale.

I'm getting on now, but every year for more than fifty odd years you read of someone, politician or otherwise, suggesting that selling fireworks to the public be banned.
Forget it, ain't going to happen, if someone wants to buy them, there'll always be someone who is willing to sell them.
It's like this cockamamy Spring forward and Fall back with the clocks, someone, (quite rightly IMO), every year says that it is BS, but then the Scottish farmers are mentioned, and it's back to situation normal.
Tuesday 1 November 2016 12.24am
I think they could at least raise the legal age of buying them to 21. I wonder if shops are as stringent with fireworks as they are with alcohol regarding age.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: