At long last

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 29 October 2016 1.57am
I am joining a group of friends next month at a reunion.we all knew each other from school and Peabody Buildings,Waterloo,the Cut,Roupell Street and Stamford Street and some of us haven't meet for nearly 50 years.I myself havnt been back to my London in over 32 years and I can't say how excited I am at seeing London again.Sorry to see you have moved Jan but hope you are happy where you are now.I having Bern on this site for a very long time due to circumstances but hope to get on to it a lot mote regularly.Lovely to see you still participate Jan and some of my old friends I was looking for contacted me I am happy to say ..take care Jan mags
Saturday 29 October 2016 6.21pm
That will be lovely for you to meet up with your friends Mags, it's nice to keep the links of your young days. Unfortunately as we more mature Londoners age our friends move or even worse pass away. Many of my relations have moved from London to other shores. When they visit they all say the same that they would never move back. That's because they have not lived in SE1 for as long as I have. Next year I will be 73 no great age I know but have to face facts.

To rent a house in central London is expensive business and sure Council Tax will increase next year! Lol. I had a garden that I could no longer maintain and that depressed me, I remember spending a fortune on topsoil and turf just to discover the workmen had filled garden in with building filler! After I had laid the lawn! Still it did the trick it was green..

Every tree bush was put there by me. Now I made the decision to leave my children had been nagging me ever since my illness. And it was the right thing to do, and the timing was right because April next year as it stands the councils are expected to sell any high value property to make up shortfall of right to buy discounts, let's face it anywhere with se1 postcode is high value! Within a few weeks of moving a young couple with 2 children moved in and I am so happy for them.

I will miss se1 till the day I die, the area has changed beyond belief in many ways, the buildings by and large lack the character that we kids took for granted growing up. But it was my home and there were many lovely people there who have endured much hardship after the war..and still are cheerful.

At least Mags we can contact each other by pm. Mags. Love Jan x
Zoe
Saturday 29 October 2016 6.33pm
I didn't realise you had moved Jan, where did you go? We will all miss you on the forum :-(
Saturday 29 October 2016 7.39pm
Gravesend with one of my daughters and family...mostly and with the wonderful disabled assistance of east midland trains staff..Derby to see eldest daughter and grandchildren then Herts to drive my son and his wife mad! I finally moved in September , had to leave three floors of furniture there but housing office were very good when I explained the circumstances of my boring medical problems..lol. On the plus side there was a brand new fridge freezer, microwave,serviceable cooker,washing machine,tumble dryer that could be left there for anyone homeless who moved in or moved to a new s heme where white goods could be stored.

I took only photos, only
Sunday 30 October 2016 7.39am
Zoe finishing off my post as battery flat, only took photos , about fifty books, took loads of new clothes to Hotric in Tower bridge rd. A local charity who hold food banks weekly. All of my papers a flipping suitcase full and found only having a tenth of my wardrobe to wear oddly liberating! Many of the clothes donated still had tags on. I will be off site lurker, putting in my Pennorth now and again! I hope you and all the Forum users remain for years as your my bit of home.x
Zoe
Sunday 30 October 2016 5.51pm
Good luck in Gravesend. I suspect moving with only a few things is very liberating, like you are free from all your stuff. I feel a bit jealous!
Monday 31 October 2016 6.48pm
Jan will not forsake us, she'll still be reading the posts and adding her sensible thoughts amongst some of the more hot headed tirades as always . No you won't leave us entirely will you, Jan ?
Monday 31 October 2016 7.22pm
SandyPandy wrote:
Jan will not forsake us, she'll still be reading the posts and adding her sensible thoughts amongst some of the more hot headed tirades as always . No you won't leave us entirely will you, Jan ?

I have no idea what you mean :)
Monday 31 October 2016 8.14pm
Lol"I started to clear out my pm's beginning at Mags October 2016. Going down to May 2005 think it was Boroughian ...managed to delete 40 then stopped..thought carefully...it is the nearest thing to keeping a journal of events in the last sixteen years. So I am going to find the best possible printer, think Epson do one that contains enough ink for two years and try to assimilate the story into my memory.

I can't believe the kindness of so many people at different stages of my life, the help and advice I received. The unbelievable charity of a very lovely man who when I asked advice about osteosarcoma treatment on the Forum sent me long lengthy information for treatment in a close young relative even though he had lost his son.

The offers of help in my garden..the house...so many things. And all because of this Forum started by a young James . Do you remember when James when there was a few skits on my posts performed in great Guildford street under the arches if my memory serves me right!
All arranged by you..

Thank you.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: