Pest control

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 4 November 2016 11.54am
Hi all. Can anyone recommend a good pest control service in our area? I have mice. Southwark will come and bait the place, but because I'm a leaseholder they won't do any necessary proofing work. Don't ask me why. Any suggestions for a reliable and thorough company gratefully received. Thanks, Rupert
Zoe
Friday 4 November 2016 7.53pm
It's a complex area of law, but if the 'nuisance' is eminating from another council property you could take legal action against Southwark as the freeholder. Proving it's from another property isn't necessarily straight forward so it's worth speaking to your neighbours to find out. If more than ten percent of properties have a pest problem the pest control is carried out free. That doesn't necessarily include baiting, but if there is clearly a block problem I would start by making a complaint.
Friday 4 November 2016 10.53pm
I have a nephew who works for a pest control company, (not Rentokil).
He worked his way up from an operative to an area manager now.
I have no idea if he'll do a 'private job', off the books as it were, but I'm seeing him next Tuesday, I'll ask, and get a ball park price, and PM you if he says it can be done, (no obligation.)
Saturday 5 November 2016 9.06am
Zoe's right. We had a problem with mice for almost forty years. Initially they came and placed bait. Being terraced houses meant they had free run from house to house. I spent fortune on staggering amount of traps, paid nearly seventy pounds for a gadget emitting noise that only mice could hear, worked for a while.

Stopping them getting in ,from experience now was best. Go and get big packets of steel wool from builders merchants, the fine steel wool. Stuff it in areas like where radiators pipes come up from floor boards, the large soil pipe behind the toilets,any tiny gaps you may think is too small because they can easily squeeze through gaps as small as a hole in Pepsi cab. If they try to get through they'll hurt themselves so will go to another bed and breakfast.

You could put bait down in the holes first? The only trouble is you have decomposing mice under the floorboards. Tower bridge road sells glue traps also, distressing to see them caught though.

They would also come in from garden problem always got worse in September .
Saturday 5 November 2016 9.08am
Lol meant Pepsi Can....not Cab!
Saturday 5 November 2016 9.26am
Thank you! Maybe I should just get Southwark to do the treatments, then we'll try & do the proofing work ourselves. What a pain. We've had one or two before but never like this.
Zoe
Saturday 5 November 2016 12.10pm
We used wire wool to stop the rats we were getting when our estate had a major rat problem, it was very effective and a cheap solution. I suspect, however that it will be harder with mice as they are smaller (those rats can grow big!).
Sunday 6 November 2016 9.16pm
Hi Rupert,

It's just a thought but in addition to the pest control services have you also thought about getting a cat?

I know it's not the ideal solution for everyone but it's what I've had to do after the crappy service I have had regarding an on and off problem for the past three years!
Sunday 6 November 2016 9.48pm
Not necessarily info you want but I used to see mice regularly the problem stopped suddenly - apparently when a rat moved into what was temporarily being used as a box room on the ground floor. Got rid of that problem when I got cats. And now I only see mice inside when my lovely feline friends bring them in for me to play with. So the learning point - and possible upside - is that if you have mice you don't have a rat problem - apparently they won't be in the same house!
Monday 7 November 2016 9.32am
That's odd I remember Mum always saying the two can't be together. , I used to say that frequently but thought I was repeating urban legends! Lol
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: