The Spit and Sawdust - former Beehive

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 15 November 2016 10.05am
I know there's already a thread about the old Beehive pub on Bartholomew Street, but I wanted to start a new one with its new name in the title in the hopes that more people realise it's gone through a change of ownership. Having read the good reviews for the revamped pub here (and spotting the new name from the top of the bus the other day) I popped in yesterday evening, and thought it was great. I'm not a big beer drinker (I do like gin, and they've got a v impressive range, and nice wines), but the person I was with is big on real ale, and pointed out i) they've got a great range of beers, ii) they really know what they're talking about, iii) the beer is well kept, so no sour, musty pints.

I thought it was a lovely venue, great drinks, nice staff, BUT it was almost empty, which is a worry, hence this post. I know it was a Monday and quite early in the evening, but I think it's going to take quite an effort to get recognition they're there and open, as they don't get much passing trade on that quiet street. So, in summary, give it a try, and spread the word it's open. Would be a shame if it failed due to poor turnout. Once again, no connection to declare, just thought they were nice blokes doing a good job. Loads of bars opening around here, but not all good. This one is!
Tuesday 15 November 2016 1.21pm
I don't think it was because you were in early that it was empty. I went in at 10pm a few Mondays ago and the only other punters in there appeared to be mates of the barman.

As you say, the range of beer was good, as was the quality of the advice I got (the barman warned me when I ordered it that the beer I'd chosen was at the headbanging end of the spectrum - it was my only one of the evening) and the beer I chose.

My only criticism (other than the lack of other people) was the volume of the pop music being played. I'd be interested to see whether more bodies would damp that down.

I agree that, if we want good pubs to stay open, we have to use them.
Tuesday 15 November 2016 4.29pm
Definitely the best thing to happen to the Bricklayers Arms/New Kent Road in years. Use it, or lose it... It's a really nice pub, the beer is delicious. And they have pop-up street food for sale which (I haven't tasted it) but it looks pretty good.

I don't like the pop music either, but it's horses for courses.

I must confess to a vested interest: nice beer in a nice pub near my doorstep.
Tuesday 15 November 2016 8.01pm
The Mapmaker wrote:
Definitely the best thing to happen to the Bricklayers Arms/New Kent Road in years. Use it, or lose it... It's a really nice pub, the beer is delicious. And they have pop-up street food for sale which (I haven't tasted it) but it looks pretty good.
I don't like the pop music either, but it's horses for courses.

I must confess to a vested interest: nice beer in a nice pub near my doorstep.

Very true, use it or lose it. I worry a bit as well: they have done such a nice job renovating it and there is no reason for it not to be successful.
Tuesday 15 November 2016 9.31pm
Looks interesting, thanks for posting about it. I don't go that way to work any more so would not have seen it. Will try and check it out soon.
Wednesday 16 November 2016 8.47am
I really hope it takes off for them, they have all worked so hard. If I had not moved out of the street recently I would have been the old dear sitting in the corner nursing a Wild Wicked beer...or the Shakeshifter thingy, with delicious fish and chips from the young couple who cook there.
Wednesday 16 November 2016 12.24pm
I really hope it takes off as it's a refreshing change to the usual drinking holes in the area. Been there a couple of times (including last Friday evening) but there were about 12 people in tops. Can't believe they'll be able to continue for longer with those kind of takings.
Wednesday 16 November 2016 1.33pm
As said, tell all your friends! I saw that Monday night is quiz night, so will try to get a group together for that. A big enough group that we can split into two if we're the only ones in there, I suppose...

Really do have everything crossed for them, but I think as much local support and word-spreading as possible would be a great help.

Glad others like it, too!
Wednesday 16 November 2016 2.32pm
Back in the day there were some active pub quizzers on this site, sometimes generating two teams on a night. One always seemed to be called the SEWonders (see what we did there?).

It might be worth reviving the topic on the Social Forum. I'd do it myself, but I'm a bit busy on Monday nights these days.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: