green parakeets in Borough

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 November 2016 11.13am
Just seen a pair of green parakeets in the tree in Avon Place. Has anyone lost them?
Thursday 17 November 2016 11.34am
They have become established here in the UK, they are an invasive species, and threaten indigenous birds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4P_NhFlb5w
'They come over here....'
Thursday 17 November 2016 2.14pm
They have been nesting locally this year. They have discovered our nut feeders above our kitchen window and feed on them throughout the day.
We love seeing them and glad they have chosen Borough to make their home.
Thursday 17 November 2016 2.43pm
I have been dreading seeing them arrive in Central London, they are so noisy and will chase away smaller birds. They make such a racket in Richmond park.
Thursday 17 November 2016 3.32pm
I'd rather them than the magpies though which really are noisy and very troublesome to nesting birds. Green is the new black !
Thursday 17 November 2016 4.49pm
Loads of them in bartholomew street..
Thursday 17 November 2016 7.29pm
connie wrote:
I have been dreading seeing them arrive in Central London

I've seem in St. James's Park.
Thursday 17 November 2016 10.18pm
They seem to be everywhere in London. A few years ago, a huge group landed in the school playing field in New Cross and mobbed the cherry plum tree. Every single bit of fruit went in about 15 minutes. They are very noisy, and they are a nuisance because they scare off all the native birds. There's an estimated 6000 in the south of England - or so I read somewhere.
Friday 18 November 2016 10.03am
----------and that's six thousand too many.
Friday 18 November 2016 11.47am
Humans are repulsive. We introduced rabbits then came up with myxomatosis, we introduced rats then convince ourselves they're dirty, now we turn our rage on parakeets. What a crappy species humans are.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: