The Grange Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
npt
Friday 2 December 2016 2.34pm
Hi All

Noticed that I hadn't left a review of The Grange Pub since it's been under new management (which must have been almost 12 months now)

Good local beer selection, nice wine, great food and masive portions. You can get a great burger or pizza for 10/11, but It's slightly on the expensive side if you order from other parts of the menu. I've been 4 times now and the staff and owners have been great to both myself and my parents.

Really happy to have this kind of pub in the area. They've also got a pub Labradoodle (I think) called Meryl.
Saturday 3 December 2016 9.39am
Are you talking about the one on Grange Road as it seems I may have stumbled into its parallel universe equivalent?

Went last week, took kids, a group of us. It was 5pm and pretty much empty. As soon as they saw the children they started getting annoyed with us. We were treated so badly throughout even though everybody had a meal and the adults were drinking champagne.

By the end I couldn't take it anymore (as the very pleasant owner started screaming at my son) so I told him I would be leaving my review on trip advisor. I must have flicked a switch there because he became aggressive and rude and started shouting at me in front of his customers! I asked him calmly to go away, which he did, but then got a second wind and came back at me shouting how dare I tell him to go away. I was genuinely scared he was going to become violent.

300 well spent.

Never ever going in there again, neither are as many people as I can tell.

Oh and the food isn't great either. Amisha opposite is far better.

I wouldn't have written on here had it not been for the review left above.
Saturday 3 December 2016 2.32pm
I didn't like The Grange burger, but their pasta is good, steak and chips was nice too. Maybe most of the food is quite nice. It is somewhat expensive. It's also half restaurant and half pub, I don't like that much.

I like Amisha more, the food perhaps isn't quite as interesting as the Grange and they haven't changed the menu for ages, but it's alright, a nicer place overall and a lot cheaper.
Sunday 4 December 2016 4.43pm
My wife and I have been in to the Grange a few times for dinner in the last year. So far we've not had a bad meal, and have had good and pleasant service from the staff and the owners every time. We haven't been in with kids, so not directly comparable, but another data point for anyone who's deciding whether to give it a try. While shouting at customers is never ok, it may have been a one-off 'bad day' - I'd be the first to admit that I've had them too.

I think it's a great addition to the local area. We love Cafe Amisha as well, but it's nice to have another option, especially one which changes its menu a bit more frequently (or at all! I think even the specials at Cafe Amisha have been broadly the same for the last few years. All very nice, and the service is lovely, but sometimes you want a change)

Only suggestion for the Grange from me is that I'd welcome a real cider on tap to go with the real ales!
Monday 5 December 2016 8.37am
npt wrote:
Hi All
Noticed that I hadn't left a review of The Grange Pub since it's been under new management (which must have been almost 12 months now)

Good local beer selection, nice wine, great food and masive portions. You can get a great burger or pizza for 10/11, but It's slightly on the expensive side if you order from other parts of the menu. I've been 4 times now and the staff and owners have been great to both myself and my parents.

Really happy to have this kind of pub in the area. They've also got a pub Labradoodle (I think) called Meryl.

Pretty sure it's been under the same management for something like 2 years hasn't it?

I've not been recently, for probably 6 months, but always found the staff and management very friendly, food good, and a nice range of beers.
Monday 5 December 2016 9.50am
The Grange is usually empty, and Amisha is busy. That's enough of a judgement I think. But we've had bad experiences of the staff in the Grange too, so I second the opinion to avoid the place.
djm
Monday 5 December 2016 3.34pm
vickt wrote:
as the very pleasant owner started screaming at my son

Can I ask why? Why would a grown adult start shouting at a child?
Monday 5 December 2016 6.36pm
I've been three times and had food each time. Generally to solve a hangover so feeling delicate but always received and seen good service and good food. Dogs are welcome and it is all quite informal. They are proud of the food and check back part way through to check its okay.

I find it very hard to believe the same people would also start shouting at a child with nothing having led to that.
Monday 5 December 2016 8.42pm
Can I ask why? Why would a grown adult start shouting at a child?[/quote]

Ok perhaps 'screamed' was a slight exaggeration - he told him off - having told the children off several other times during the meal. I have to say the children were really well behaved (at a time when up the place was virtually empty), however their very presence was irritating them from the moment we arrived, 10 children in total.

The reason mine got scolded was because he stood on the sofa (the horror!) he wasn't wearing any shoes and I was about to get him down but the owner beat me to him and said he was jumping up and down, he wasn't. The child in question is 4.

Anyhow, as I said before, I felt very threatened by his demeanour towards me and it was wholly unnecessary.

I have also been there without kids and had a very different experience, therefore this was a surprise.

I do think the food is average and overpriced.
Tuesday 6 December 2016 5.07pm
Would say I'm a regular at the Grange, and always seems to be nicely busy. Never overcrowded. Have always been impressed with the food, mainly the roasts (which are amazing) and the pizzas. Not the cheapest place in the area but I think you get value for money.

I have always found the staff, and the owners, to be incredibly friendly and customer focused. I think they create a really nice atmosphere.

I am not 'anti kids' in any way but the pub isn't huge inside and to say you had 10 children with you (I'm not sure how many adults) sounds a little like you would overrun the place, specifically if they were climbing on the furniture. You seem to have toned down the review a little, which I suspect is getting closer to the truth, and I cant blame the staff for telling kids off for standing on the sofas.

I've been in there before when they have had kids parties in the garden, they seemed to be more than happy then.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: