Local Con Man - Be aware

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 8 December 2016 4.52pm
Hi,

I wanted to write to alert everyone (especially women) of a local con man in the area. He approaches women (when they are on their own) and pretends he has lost his wallet/travel card and needs to borrow money to get home. He approached me in the park about 3-4 months ago and being a single lady on my own, i did feel pressured into paying him. I have since seen him again down the New Kent Road area, again asking single women for money. The police are aware as i have reported it and did report it when i saw him last, so if he does approach you please do not give him any money and call 101 and let them know where he is.

Description:
About 6 foot, blonde short hair, well dressed, late 30s early 40's, strong Kent/Essex accent.

Lets hope they catch him.
Thursday 8 December 2016 8.12pm
Thank you for the warning
Thursday 8 December 2016 11.37pm
if you ever get anyone asking for money as they lost there travel card , bus fare , oyster card etc - just direct them to the nearest police station or BTP station advising them that they will get a travel warrant there to get them home ......
Saturday 10 December 2016 12.30am
Sarahhm wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to write to alert everyone (especially women) of a local con man in the area. He approaches women (when they are on their own) and pretends he has lost his wallet/travel card and needs to borrow money to get home. He approached me in the park about 3-4 months ago and being a single lady on my own, i did feel pressured into paying him. I have since seen him again down the New Kent Road area, again asking single women for money. The police are aware as i have reported it and did report it when i saw him last, so if he does approach you please do not give him any money and call 101 and let them know where he is.

Description:
About 6 foot, blonde short hair, well dressed, late 30s early 40's, strong Kent/Essex accent.

Lets hope they catch him.

While sympathising totally with the fact that that you felt pressured to give this clown some money, and agreeing with you in your hope that he is swiftly apprehended, I have to say that as someone born and raised in S.E. London, but with a host of acquaintances in East Ham, Barking, Dagenham, Eltham, Sidcup, and Crayford, I've no idea what an ordinary Kent/Essex accent sounds like, let alone a strong one.
The folks in the areas I mentioned all sound like a vaguely better educated version of me, elocution wise.
I'll grant you that I notice a subtle difference when I'm in Canterbury or Whitstable though.
Saturday 10 December 2016 11.29am
Hi Tom
Not quite sure the relevance or point of your comment, this post was purely to warn other vulnerable women of a con man out there. Obviously I wanted to give people the best description I could, apologies if this is not accurate enough when it comes to exact regional accent, however, I imagine that the majority would be able to recognise a Kent/Essex accent.

I don't want to get into what seems to be a very petty and pointless argument over the exact accent, the aim was to warn people, which I have achieved, just not quite sure what you have achieved with your post.
Anyway, happy Saturday

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: