Damp in Nelson Square estate - and others?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 12 December 2016 11.37am
Hi all,

Recently had bathroom re-painted and renovated in Rowland Hill House. It's north-facing. After only 6 weeks there is ceiling damp. Bathroom is well ventilated (window usually ajar, and door open into house). Another resident told me that there is damp throughout the building, and on all council properties that are north-facing.

Anyone else found this? And has anybody found a good solution....?

Cheers, Josh
Monday 12 December 2016 4.03pm
We are top of the block in RHH. Three sometimes four of us here, steamy showers on regular basis. Even with the air flow thing, we still have a bit of residual damp and we keep the small window open on the first click.

We found the best thing was a can of damp proof paint and a small rag headed mop permanently placed in the bathroom to mop the drips up after a steamy shower. Seems to work quite well. Have not heard that there is 'damp throughout the building' or that this is common on 'all council properties that are south facing'.
Tuesday 13 December 2016 5.46pm
I think that north facing makes more sense.. south facing could be balmy.
Tuesday 13 December 2016 9.54pm
Ooops! Of course! I should have said NORTH facing!
Friday 16 December 2016 9.39am
I live in Applegarth and also have experienced a problem with damp. Not only in the bathroom but in two of the bedrooms, which are at the very end of the block. I'm not sure if this is a common problem but other people who live in my column have had damp over the years.
Sunday 18 December 2016 1.32pm
damp does not exist in any southwark property. it is condensation, and it is always caused by the tenant. you must not say 'damp'.

the reality is that damp from external factors is a constant in southwark properties as they age. it could be that repointing to external brickwork is needed. look for water leaking from clogged rain goods especially after 'leaves on the line'. best to view the external walls during a heavy downpour.

having discovered something, get a private building inspector's report and a good housing disrepair lawyer. remember, there is no 'damp' in southwark!
Saturday 24 December 2016 8.18pm
Kellandj is correct. These buildings were never built for showers - only baths that create a lot less condensation.

The other main contributor is drying clothes indoors.

All that moisture has got to go somewhere - which will reform as "damp" on cold walls.
Thursday 17 August 2017 11.16am
I know this is an old thread but i have just found a patch of damp on my south facing bedroom (RHH) The neighbour downstairs came up to say he was getting a leak in his bedroom directly below mine and i thought how strange as obviously nothing in the bedroom contains water.

anyway i pulled my bed away from the wall to find that there is a mouldy patch right in the corner from the floor up for about 40cm

I have since spoke to another neighbour who said that there is an ongoing problem in RHH since the roof was refurbished, apparently the contractors failed to leave holes over the overflow holes and covered the lot. the result was tonnes of water on the roof. they opened the holes and let the water gush through the overflow but the pressure has blown out the pipes.

has anyone else heard of this and if so is there some sort of contact at southwark for this? as the neighbour said southwark are aware of the damp issue caused by this?

thanks

sam
Thursday 17 August 2017 1.24pm
Out of interest, was the roof refurbishment part of the 2010/11 repairs which ended up costing 50% more than expected?
Thursday 17 August 2017 3.46pm
Joshb no it was only done recently, in the last year or so. the same neighbour lives on the ground floor and when the incident happened it somehow traveled through the walls and hit him and the floor above, but no one else, i have been here for nearly 9 years and never had damp in the flat until now.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network