New Mill St Surgery - getting an appointment

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 13 December 2016 7.20pm
I've been registered with NMSS for a year or so but haven't needed to get an appointment until now, so I called this afternoon and was abruptly told by the receptionist that they don't book appointments in advance any more. To see the Dr I need to call at 7:30am on the day and hang around for a few hours waiting to be triaged by a nurse, if I'm lucky to get through at all.

I don't have anything serious or life-threatening (I hope!) so it seems crazy that my only option is an emergency appointment. I don't want to compete with people who are actually ill, and this system also means I have to take time off work without any guarantee of seeing the doctor

The website and NHS say I am able to book an appointment online but when I registered the staff *really* didn't want to give me access to this functionality. Probably explains why NHS choices say only 17% of patients are signed up for the service

Is everywhere else this bad? It seems I can also register at the Bermondsey Spa practice so thinking of going there instead....
Wednesday 14 December 2016 1.46am
Mill St is impossible, massively over subscribed so getting an appointment is a nightmare and get ready for your appointment to be cancelled without telling you.

I moved over to Bermondsey Spa a couple of years ago, it's so much more efficient and accessible.
Monday 19 December 2016 4.54pm
I too moved from Mill st surgery. Almost impossible to get an appointment and the receptionists are mostly unhelpful and referral paperwork has been lost
Tuesday 20 December 2016 1.02pm
It's been like that for the last ten years in my experience.
That having been said, the one time I was REALLY ill, I rang them in the afternoon, explained that I'd got a temperature off the scale and had just slept for 17 hours solid, and they squeezed me in inside an hour (and referred me straight to Urgent Care).
The online system does make a difference though. You can usually book around a week ahead. Avoid the receptionists at all costs.
Tuesday 20 December 2016 3.13pm
I was going to start a Falmouth Road GP thread, but it seemed logical to continue this one. I popped in the other week to request an appointment and was told there was nothing available till the end of January. I said no problem as it was not urgent and was simply responding to a request from the surgery to have a medicines assessment by their GP. So I said to the receptionist that the first week of Feb would be fine. No she said, you don't understand, we have appointments available in Feb but we can't give you one because they have not been released yet, come back in February and we may be able to give you one. I asked if there was an alternative to this process, she said I could come to the emergency surgery at 7.30am, queue until 9pm when the surgery doors open and expect to be seen by 11am. She then pointed to the information gizmo on the wall that said " If you come to the emergency surgery and don't want to wait wait one and a half hours to be seen, go to A&E" I replied "are those my only alternatives?" "Go private" was her reply

Does anyone know of a private GP in this area?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network