Ancestry library edition.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 18 December 2016 1.32pm
This sounds fascinating, especially for when people can't get to local studies library at John Harvard. For a subscription we will be able to access census on line. Does anyone know when it's starting?
Sunday 18 December 2016 5.45pm
Can you be more specific. What are you refering to?
Sunday 18 December 2016 9.20pm
Jan,
I use ancestry.co.uk, as a regular subscriber, I have to pay an annual fee which isn't cheap.
I get access to all UK censuses up to 1911 which is the last one released. 1921 will not be released until 2021.
The bare facts they reveal enable you to build the picture of your ancestors' lives and loves, jobs and even infant deaths as well as adults. Absolutely fascinating, and if one can get it ad hoc frm Southwark at a cheaper rate then that's the way to go.
Sunday 18 December 2016 10.28pm
I was following the link That Lionel had posted for 50s photos date 2013...to the Southwark local history at John Harvard then saw the ancestry library edition mentioned but could not see it anywhere?

Thank you Bunhouse , when I do find it it may be cheaper? I did love trawling through census when I was a bit fitter now no longer able to work thought I would really concentrate on genealogy bits. And to find a printer that would be cheaper to use and a doddle to replace the ink! At work we has a large cassette that help desk just opened and dropped in!
Monday 19 December 2016 10.08am
Southwark Council website has been going through some changes.
The new address is
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/libraries/elibrary/eresources
which will take you to information on the online resources currently available - including newspaper archives, dictionaries, ODNB etc. You'll need a library card, since you have to log in with your reader's number.

Unfortunately 'Ancestry Library Edition' is only available in a library using one of the library computers.

Not sure about Ancestry, but some on-line sources give you short-term access to census records at a pro rata rate, without signing up for a full year's subscription. Fine if you want to check just one family or one address.
Monday 19 December 2016 11.09am
Thank you John , that's saved me from needlessly trawling through the site. Think Southwark may earn some much needed cash by offering all that information out to public domain. All I need now I've left London is to borrow someone's library card...
Monday 19 December 2016 11.24am
Jan the old one wrote:
I was following the link That Lionel had posted for 50s photos date 2013...to the Southwark local history at John Harvard then saw the ancestry library edition mentioned but could not see it anywhere?
Thank you Bunhouse , when I do find it it may be cheaper? I did love trawling through census when I was a bit fitter now no longer able to work thought I would really concentrate on genealogy bits. And to find a printer that would be cheaper to use and a doddle to replace the ink! At work we has a large cassette that help desk just opened and dropped in!

Ancestry.com is the best, but an alternative site which is free to use is Familysearch.org
Here's a direct link to the search page for England which includes 61 different record collections https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1986340?region=England

www.richardqmiller.com

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network