house sparrows

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 23 December 2016 11.23pm
Used to be loads of these sadly missed creatures singing away in a garden tree junction of Theed and Roupell Street. The tree was cut down one day and I think the owner might have moved and the new people didn't encourage them possibly. can anyone shed any light on the mystery?
Saturday 24 December 2016 8.27am
I think sparrows are in short supply generally. There are are a few bushes in tabard gardens where I often hear sparrows chirruping away.
Saturday 24 December 2016 8.35am
Cats.
Saturday 24 December 2016 9.21am
Don't know about sparrows - haven't seen one for years. Round our way the crows have driven the pigeons out.
Saturday 24 December 2016 9.43am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Cats.
possibly or I heard traffic fumes and something affecting the insects which adults feed their young plus lack of suitable nesting in modern buildings
Saturday 24 December 2016 9.49am
John C wrote:
Don't know about sparrows - haven't seen one for years. Round our way the crows have driven the pigeons out.
yes the gulls and crows and magpies appear to have discouraged the wood pigeons but feral still come around and foxes and squirrels also
Saturday 24 December 2016 12.24pm
Paramount wrote:
John C wrote:
Don't know about sparrows - haven't seen one for years. Round our way the crows have driven the pigeons out.
yes the gulls and crows and magpies appear to have discouraged the wood pigeons but feral still come around and foxes and squirrels also

I meant the 'feral' 'London' pigeons, Paramount! There're still wood pigeons and squirrels in the trees at the back round Dickens Square, but Trinity Church Square itself is a pigeon-free zone where the crows fight the foxes for access to the rubbish sacks. Saw a couple of crows up by Trafalgar Square in the summer - perhaps they can fight off the seagulls that have overwhelmed the pigeons there.

London Zoo usually has a large colony of sparrows - lots of free food. The herons steal the penguins' fish, of course.
Saturday 24 December 2016 1.59pm
In the last week, I have witnessed a single crow,or rook, harassing two gulls and it saw them off. I fear the songbirds are falling victim to magpies, crows and gulls
Saturday 24 December 2016 8.12pm
The blue tits family seem to survive though.. Pretty little things. Some areas Richmond Kingston have the colourful parrot type ring tailed necked parakeets originally from India
Saturday 24 December 2016 11.09pm
Paramount wrote:
The blue tits family seem to survive though.. Pretty little things. Some areas Richmond Kingston have the colourful parrot type ring tailed necked parakeets originally from India

The parrots are established in Southwark already and they take no nonsense from crows or squirrels.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network