Refuse Collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 6 January 2017 4.04pm
Over the years I've had very few occasions to deal with Southwark Council, save for once or twice having bulky objects, e.g. fridge-freezer, wardrobe, collected.
As far as I was concerned, they'd always done the job they were there for, and I'd always paid my rates, then Community Charge to them.
I am now seeing them in a different light.
Our blue recycling bin and the small brown food waste bin were due for collection on 23/12/16, the recycling was emptied, but not the waste food.
I emailed the Council on 24/12/16 to report a missed collection, and received an email back on 27/12/16 apologising, and saying that the food waste would be collected within 3 working days, it wasn't.
I emailed again on 04/01/17 to check on what was happening, and said that I presumed the food waste would now be collected on the next scheduled collection day, 06/01/17, today.
They replied in the affirmative, it is now 16.00 hrs. 06/01/17 and the food waste is still at the end of the drive.
I have fired off another email, telling the Council that I will NOT be storing rotting waste around the house until they decide to empty the brown bin, I will be putting it in with general household waste, in the green bin.
I now await the Council sending a posse of heavies to warn me of dire consequences if I do this.
Friday 6 January 2017 5.33pm
Funny I thought the brown bins were for garden waste... We have one in the common garden... I would like to have composting bins, that would at least make some soil and reduce the amount of greenhouse gases. Instead we have overfilled bins the whole street uses as a dumping ground.
Friday 6 January 2017 5.46pm
connie wrote:
Funny I thought the brown bins were for garden waste... We have one in the common garden... I would like to have composting bins, that would at least make some soil and reduce the amount of greenhouse gases. Instead we have overfilled bins the whole street uses as a dumping ground.

Yes Connie, there are large brown bins for garden waste, we don't have one, I had most of our garden paved over, the rest is covered with largish stones, reminiscent of Hastings beach.
Any weeds which my green fingered wife pulls up, are placed, (with the neighbour's agreement), in our neighbour's large brown bin, along with bouquets that have died, which I, (as an old romantic), constantly buy my beautiful wife,(before they're dead.)
I was referring to the small brown bin, food waste.
Friday 6 January 2017 6.17pm
I did not know small one existed... must be pretty full after Christmas...
Saturday 7 January 2017 9.00am
connie wrote:
I did not know small one existed... must be pretty full after Christmas...

You got that right Connie, fortunately my immediate neighbour went away for Christmas and New Year, giving me permission to use any of her bins, plus to have full use of her drive for any excess visitors to park on.
So between the two houses there are two small brown food waste bins, full to capacity, as the neighbour's food waste bin, (albeit filled by me), hasn't been collected either, and two green general household waste bins, likewise.
The green bins are scheduled to be collected next Friday, the 13th. (Unlucky for some!) I have no faith that the food waste will be collected then, or before then either.
Saturday 7 January 2017 9.40am
Tom , I sense your exasperation and inner fury has reached bursting point but don't do what I would be contemplating - bagging it all up and delivering it to their offices at Tooley Street with an accompanying note explaining that as Southwark Refuse Collection is unable to collect from you have delivered it to them at no cost to the council and that you will be happy to return to the normal collection service which you pay for and are not receiving at the moment. There would be consequences such as being prosecuted for leaving litter in a public place rather than on your driveway but heigh-ho that's life nowadays.
I do hope it's not the binmen playing up because you forgot to give them a Christmas drink. Nah, can't be, they don't do things like that, do they?
Saturday 7 January 2017 12.29pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
Tom , I sense your exasperation and inner fury has reached bursting point but don't do what I would be contemplating - bagging it all up and delivering it to their offices at Tooley Street with an accompanying note explaining that as Southwark Refuse Collection is unable to collect from you have delivered it to them at no cost to the council and that you will be happy to return to the normal collection service which you pay for and are not receiving at the moment. There would be consequences such as being prosecuted for leaving litter in a public place rather than on your driveway but heigh-ho that's life nowadays.
I do hope it's not the binmen playing up because you forgot to give them a Christmas drink. Nah, can't be, they don't do things like that, do they?

I'd already toyed with the Tooley Street idea for a mad second or two, but cognisant of the profusion of cameras that abound in our streets I abandoned it.
I doubt that it's the garbage truck guys, because although I didn't give them a drink, they emptied the green bin last week, and the blue bin this week.
In addition, I've since discovered that no one's waste food bin has been collected in my (albeit short) street.
Saturday 7 January 2017 1.44pm
It's easy to rubbish Southwark council's efforts, but recycling rates have fallen here, they are charging residents 16.00 for bulk item collection, yet have failed to fine anyone for dumping since they got new powers in May last year. Meanwhile Newham Council has raised more than 50,000 in fines from dumpers.
Saturday 7 January 2017 4.26pm
graham wrote:
It's easy to rubbish Southwark council's efforts, but recycling rates have fallen here, they are charging residents 16.00 for bulk item collection, yet have failed to fine anyone for dumping since they got new powers in May last year. Meanwhile Newham Council has raised more than 50,000 in fines from dumpers.

While I appreciate your input Graham, and by the way, I can hardly rubbish Southwark's efforts, (nice pun by the way), as they don't appear to have MADE an effort to collect my waste food bin.
I've never owed them one thin dime in Community Charges, the apparent fact that Southwark Council are not as on the ball as Newham Council shouldn't mean that they can decide not to do what I pay them for.
Saturday 14 January 2017 4.01pm
For anyone who who has any interest in how this saga panned out, and I have to say, if it hadn't been MY bin, I wouldn't have had much interest.
After not being emptied on THREE scheduled collection days, it was finally emptied last Friday, 13/06/17.
This was after a trio of polite emails from myself, and an equal trio of pro forma messages from Southwark Council, stating that it would be collected within three working days of their apologetic replies.
As my old mum used to say, "They'll get ulcers on their tongue for telling lies."

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: