broadband - victims of the bermondsey exchange - openreachtn

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 24 January 2017 1.09am
'With regard to the provision of superfast broadband our depolyment is based on the commercial criteria for each exchange and in turn, how broadband is delivered from that exchange.

Regrettably, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria to provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and running costs of a new FTTC cabinet.

There are plans to provide Fibre to the Premises in the future but these are in the very early stages and it may be some time before the service becomes available.'

you don't have just to live in the countryside ...
Tuesday 24 January 2017 1.49pm
I'm in Shad Thames and the connection speed is rubbish
Tuesday 24 January 2017 3.15pm
One of the capitals of the world and we can't get decent broadband from anyone. I know in the bigger picture it's not a big deal, but you'd have thought to encourage investment and support for the capital that fibreoptic broadband for London would be a standard feature, rather than a penny pinching exercise for BT...
Tuesday 24 January 2017 3.23pm
This makes my blood boil. I live on the Southwark exchange. Again the same thing. This part of SE1 doesn't qualify - the exchange is Fibre Enabled but that is as far as it goes. No point in having a fibre enabled exchange if it doesn't get from the Cabinet's to the potential customers cabinets.

Considering, well you would think - even being close to the FT's office that it would have made it here to the residents. Clearly not. Not to Cabinet 28 (Marshalsea Road). I don't even know who to complain to. If you do, let us know. I checked with the BT site which says the exchange was 'Available' on 9/1/2017.

#grrr #outdated
Tuesday 24 January 2017 6.53pm
Here at Draper Tower (despite the 7.8m major works) we rely on shared copper wires fitted by the General Post Office 50 years ago.
For those of us working from home, the speed falls when the school children come home, stays low as our neighbours 'catch up', then rises around midnight. We've started making enquiries about optic-fibre, but, it's a long process.
Zoe
Tuesday 24 January 2017 10.20pm
We can see the faces of the staff working in the Telephone Exchange here in Styles, but we can't get high speed as they haven't upgraded the box next to our block. It's the first one they pass when all those vans leave on a morning, but it's still not done years later. I got Virgin instead which is great.

Graham, surely you can get also get Virgin cable?
Tuesday 24 January 2017 11.48pm
Guys have you considered Relish.net?

They give out a Gemtek router which is s**t but if your lucky you may be able to get their signal, they use a 4G system but is different to the normal 4G on phone, even if you can't get signal you might be able to invest in a new bit of hardware (60-250) and you should be able to improve things for you.

I come of the Bermondsey exchange and live near Surrey Docks farm and get 3.5mbits as a rule and with relish it's at least 5 times faster, they have a 14 day money back promise so you have nothing to loose, plus you can dump your line rental costs as well.

Just one word of warning their customer service is shocking, it's been outsurced and it shows, but it's an option, i know i am at least 12 months away from getting any upgrade so worth it for me.

All1
Wednesday 25 January 2017 11.37am
A word of warning on Relish, I tried it but it did not work with Sky, meaning that I could not download any films/box sets so it had to go back.

Our building signed up with these guys as BT / Sky were unable to help.

https://www.hyperoptic.com/

As long as you get enough interest from flat owners they put it in to the building free of charge, and then you can choose to sign up or not.
Wednesday 25 January 2017 12.57pm
Relish is rubbish. Too compromised by the way they use CGNAT instead of straight forward NAT. I gave up on it after a fortnight of iffy service and brick walls when it came to doing certain things, like remote access. A detected speed of 25Gbps is pretty useless when the best download speeds you achieve are less than 1/10 of that. Things like iPlayer were essentially unusable.
Wednesday 25 January 2017 1.24pm
If you're expecting someone like Hyperoptic to help you Graham you are likely out of luck. They are simply not interested in certain buildings (read council estates and blocks) unless the council are likely to set up joint ventures to facilitate all the infrastructure as Wandsworth have with Hyperoptic under Community Fibre Ltd. Unfortunately, Southwark are more likely to hinder than help them.

All part of the great digital divide that is opening up in London because uniquely the government will not directly subsidise delivery of broadband as it does everywhere else in the UK. Instead, they are expecting the private sector to magically provide when it comes to exchange only lines if BT won't. Well here we are years later and BT won't, but the private sector has not provided either. The only thing that can be said is that you are as likely to be afflicted with rubbish broadband in Belgravia as you are in Borough. Go find a Broadband speed map and you'll find Buckingham Palace would likely get a worse service than you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: